SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Thoughts on Mountain Cottage House Plan

kam76
11 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post though I have been reading and learning so much! Thank you all for your thoughtful insights. My husband and I own 5 level acres in Western Washington State and we are looking to build in the next year. We have two girls 3 and 6. We are moving because our current house layout is frustrating, not conducive to entertaining and dark. We want more land because we want to expand our garden, orchard and poultry flock and my husband wants to build "garage-mahal" as he calls it to house all his toys and woodworking equipment (this will be a separate building, nothing to do with the house). We have looked over 100's of plans and this one comes closest to what we *think* we want. I will rely on you all to tell me the things I think I want won't work.

Some of the things that are very important to me:

1. A separate covered mudroom entrance this is almost the number one thing as I sweep up fir needles, mud and chicken "stuff" off my formal house entrance (only entrance to the house) 2x a day and it drives me batty! Not to mention the piles of shoes, jackets and backpacks in my entryway.

2. I cook three meals a day, bake at least 3 x a week and my girls are big helpers in the kitchen and will continue to be so I need a very functional kitchen that will comfortably accomodate a chef and two sous chefs. I also do tons of canning and drying.

3. I like the one big kitchen/dining/great room layout for entertaining (which we do 2 x a month and all holidays) I do not have a need for a formal dining or living room.

4. I like that this plan has a "guest suite" with a full bath for guests and also in the likely case that we will be taking care of a grandparent some day. We have overnight guests several times throughout the year.

Although I am sure this will change the girls desperately want bunk beds and to share a room. We will likely finish the top floor with just a bonus/tv type room and bedroom (probably no bath, though rough in for plumbing if we want to add later). We don't really have a need for a formal office and plan to add a desk/storage in the kitchen area for a laptop.

FRONT

REAR VIEW

FIRST FLOOR

SECOND FLOOR

DINING/GREAT ROOM INTERIOR SHOT

Comments (16)