SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

House for us, not the norm, for sure!

mommyto4boys
14 years ago

Frequesnt lurker still, but slower poster these days. Now I'm Mommytofive. Posted a while back that we wanted to rebuild, that forever, dream home, again. This will be the last one, famous last words. We have found four different wooded lots, about five acres each, that we are looking at for our final home.

Currently we have a 4300 square foot custom. Rather "typical" plan. Front entry formal"ish" with open stair case, formal dining to one side, den to the other & powder room. Back of the house is a large family room, open to huge kitchen and breakfast area. Off the garage is a large mud room (long hall) another half bath, and laundry. Master suite is on the lower level and kid's are upstairs.

We have determined like many we don't need the front of our house, except to buffer it from the front door. We like a foyer and love being able to answer the door and not have people "in the house" and not able to see the kitchen and family room. We realize we like the formal dining room on special occassions. We want to downsize some and feel like a nook that seats 8, a larger formal dining and an island that seats six are not all needed/wanted by us.

I'm envisioing a large kitchen, with windows to the backyard (over the sink), open to a family room. Never have had the two entirely sepearate and can't even imagine that. So, a stairs or fireplace bewteen the kitchen and family room are not options. Directly off the kitchen and in the back of the home I want a large dining room that will take the place of a formal dining room and a nook. It would be like a pottery barn catalog page. Stone fireplace, wood floors, exposed beamed, vaulted ceiling, window and french doors surrounding the room. This room would branch out into the woods by itself. It would house an old, large farmhouse table. It could be dressed up for the holidays and still be fitting for eveing dinners and sipping coffee and reading the paper on Sunday mornings. Ahhhh, dreaming, back to the plans.

Off the kitchen towards the garage area I would require a large (SEPERATE) laundry area, small (very) office area for me, half bath and a LARGE MUDROOM. The mud room would require an entrance from the garage and exterior. Think, five, active, mud loving....BOYS!

I have seen plans that are ok, only if I take a sharpie marker and color off the dining room, front den, and small kitchen nook. Then I change the screened in porch, that so often angles off the kitchen and make this my dream dining area. Oh, and I remove the so often seen stairs that are a barrier between the kitchen and family room.

Please, I don't want anyone to think I'm putting their house or style down. I love the house I have now and if not trying to downsize or work within a certain budget, I would too have all these formal rooms too. After living in five home (3 we built) and many apartments....we just know what we want this time. Thought we new last time, but live and learn. Also, paying grealty for the increased mortage. So, please know I'm not against certain plans or less used formal areas. It is just a matter of how we live and what works for us and our budget.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE AND THE EXTERIOR??? I rather like an open stairs, just always had a fondness for them. I have played making the "front" typical formal dining room place a laundry room. A little unorthodox, but hey I do need that space more for laundry than entertaining.

I so love looking at plans and coloring all over stock plans and drawing on graph paper until the wee hours of the night. Eventually, we will have the gentleman who drew the plans for our current house take a stab at it. Call me crazy, but I get a huge amount of satisfaction, fun, gratitude, persoanl achievement for working on this forever myself (before handing it over to the professional).

Any opinions, ideas, advice? Do we live so absolutley different from other "larger" families that I have never seen a plan even close to what I want. As anyone seen anything I'm describing? We basically want only the rooms that we use and feel we need for our family and I want those main rooms all in the back of the house. Lots of windows, privacy and views of the trees. Of those rooms we want them spacious enough for our family. If you think I'm crazy to not have the "normal" plan that I see so often...please tell me that too. I don't feel concerned about resale, but I thought this was our forever home too. Lord, help us that we get it closer to "perfect" this time. Also, huge impact on the move is the 1 1/2 acres we are on, isn't nearly the space we envisioned it to be. Love to have some words for thought! Thanks for your time and ideas:)

Comments (29)