SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asrh

Building a house...not sure what to do?

Reena Heyer
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have been on this forum quite a bit and I try and read up on a lot of things. However the current situation I am in I am not sure what to do. Here is my overview and below are my concerns and questions:

My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Currently we are renting a 2k/month house in California. We have paid all our student loans off and have no car or credit card debt.

-Our income after taxes is approx: 450K (hoping we get a 50K bump this year)
-225K in retirement
-60k in 529 for kids
-120k in cash

Here is my dilemma. We moved to this location about 2 1/2 years ago for work. We both like the area and decided this is where we would settle and try and make our lives. Last year we ended up looking at land and we picked up a property that was graded and I thought it was a good deal especially in California: 335k for 5 acres

We proceeded to get a house designed and assumed we would build later this year (wife did a lot of leg work). However after designing the house and getting a total we both have simmered down on the idea of building now

Basically the house comes to 1.3 not including the land. A permit is 53K and so I am looking at approx: 1.65 without landscaping that's estimated to be 200K.

I have spoken in length to my financial advisor and family who have done this before and are now financially well off.

I have already paid 102K into the land and we were approved for a loan of 1.5 enough to build. But once I ran the numbers we are looking at a $7,500/monthly loan including my property taxes (estimated to be 20-23K/year - I found the assesor showed him the plans). $7,500 is a little too much for me now, I think I will be really stressed to make ends meet. I want to continue putting away for retirement and kids college

So here are my options:

1. Sell the land (I have been offered 450-500K cash). The land where we bought this is selling and there is nothing in this area that is within 20 minutes of downtown and a developed neighborhood with excellent schools
  2. Take my cash and put 80K towards the land and pay of land by end of this year
  3. Go for it and build the house and hope income continues and don't do landscape for several years
  4. Continue renting and wait for 2-3 years till I accumulate 300-400k cash and land is paid off to build.
  5. Buy a house now near our land so kids won't have to change schools and we are looking to spend 350-400K. Save and build in 3-5 years. The issue here is that my wife is worried we will be in the same boat if we cannot sell this house we buy

Finally we were told a few weeks ago that a family member wants to gift us money at a tune of 200k but that will take a full year to be in our account due to tax reason etc...I am not clear but even with that 200K i am not sure if I want to jump into building right away. We have been renting for 2 years because I wanted to make sure I made partner prior to buying. I made partner last fall. Also the other reason I was hoping to build was that we pay $450/month in HOA on the land and that was some motivation to build.

It is disheartening to know that as of now I cannot afford this build (I think I cannot) but I think it has a lot to do with designing and actually picking things out that made it seem so close to reality....I rather be safe than sorry...

Thanks for the read...suggestions and guidance are all appreciated

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions