SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

"tile rug" on bathroom floor

home4all6
11 years ago

We are right in the middle of building a master bathroom addition, and I'm in major decision-making mode (my head hurts...)
I thought I had the floortile figured out, but my GC is trying to talk me out of it...We are planning 12x12 marble tile floor, and were planning to do a 6'x3' tile rug, made from marble baseketweave, in front of our 6' double vanity. I have loved the basket weave for years, but don't like the look of the entire floor done in it, so this seems like a good solution.
My GC says this is a very trendy decision, and he recommends against it with something as permananent as tile floors. We have been trying all along to make design choices that aren't too trendy, but still fit in our 1916 home. We will have a stand alone soaker tub on the opposite side of the tile rug from the vanity.
We also will have a walk-in shower, but it is walled, with a glass door, and not really visible from the main bathroom area, so if I only use the basketweave in there, it won't be seen in the rest of the room. We are only tiling the floor of the bathroom, not the walls or backsplash.
What are your thoughts on tile rugs in the bathroom? Do you think I will regret this decision is a few short years? I will say that I love it, and my husband loves it, and we are the only ones who will use and see this room on a daily basis.
Thoughts?

Comments (11)