SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Stemmed Votives

Sandi_W
17 years ago

I found some stemmed votives at Dollar Tree for $1. They are clear glass like the one on the right. I swirled clear glass paint on the one on the left and I'm trying to decide which I like best. They aren't as pretty as Judith's, but they will be fine on my kitchen table. I would love to have some like hers to use on my dining room table.

Comments (55)

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you dreamgoddess. I was happy to find some that I could afford right now as I've admired Judith's so much although I still want some like hers.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Forgot to say that I like the look of the painted one too. Are those the right size for those metal covers? I don't know what the proper name is for them. I have a couple of styles, one is gold with a cut-out design and the other one is plain green. Oh, and I just remembered I have one in a burgundy color.

• Related Discussions

plate flowers

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for the info, I wanted to make some plate flowers. =) As the for the glass, I seriously doubt it's tempered, too much work and cost to temper something that's going to sell for a buck. If you order tempered glass for a door, they have to run it through a special machine and it has to be a certain dimension to fit. I don't think they temper anything but plate glass with any regularity.
    ...See More

Plate flowers and Jewelry trees

Q

Comments (15)
    luna...a memory jug sounds wonderful also! The hardest part was "cutting" the jewelry to fit...like "rings" in half...backs of earrings, etc. etc. It took a lo-o-ng time & I used hand snips & wire cutter tools to do it. Glue guns do not work on metal jewelry for this project ...the backing is velvet & I used superglue...so you also have to kind of hold each pc until it sets up. I hope you make your memory jar... I have a cream colored pitcher that I want to do with white buttons & some fish gravel rock that I saw a pic of in a lib bk. anyway, kelly oh, shared some great pics here! Jeanne S.
    ...See More

help with tablescape

Q

Comments (29)
    I am sorry yachter... I am not sure what is worse...to have a Wegmans in your area or not to have one...right now they must have close to 30 different sets of dishes and themes in the stores...I wish I could purchase them all but my wallet nor my storage space will allow for that...so I usually just get a few accent pieces and look at their magazine and catalog for inspirational picture...I hope all of you can use the pictures for ideas....:)
    ...See More

Easter eBay

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh, those are cute. Hey, do you think the bunny could hold cupcakes in each of the wire thingys? Gosh, its a good thing I am too computer inept to do Ebay, otherwise I would have to work 3 jobs! I try not to even look there, otherwise I will be too tempted. LOL
    ...See More
  • Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, I don't know what the metal covers are. Please post a pic of one cause now I'm really curious. LOL

• marylmi
    17 years ago

I *think* I used them with the candle followers. It's been quite some time since I've used them but now my interest has been renewed! I'll try to find them & post a picture, they are most likely packed away in a box somewhere so hope I can find them!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I vote for the one you painted. That adds more sparkle to it I think. Luvs

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Sandi, I bought some of those, maybe 4 years ago at a Christmas craft store, the lady had hand painted them in seasons, I have Christmas, Fall & Spring! Paid a lot more than a dollar for them too!

I like the one you swirled the paint in, will it cause any problems with you burn a candle, that is, will the paint get hot & run?

Mine are handpainted on the outside, looked to me like you did the paint on the inside.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, Don't worry about looking for them. I was just curious what they were. And I don't know what a candle followers is either! I guess my education has been sadly lacking. LOL

Luvs, I think I like the painted one also. They could be done with any color and I was thinking they could also be swirled like I did, but leave "designs" with no swirls. Luvs, you could paint some like yachter is talking about. I saw some very pretty dainty beaded fringe and was thinking of hanging it from the bottom edge (and maybe the top edge) of the votice cover. It could be tacked on lightly with hot glue and removed easily enough and would give them a very Victorian look.

Yachter, I swirled the paint on the outside of the glass so I don't think it will be a problem, but if the paint does run I can just scrape it off. It took about 5 minutes to do one and the cost of the glass paint to do it was very minimal so nothing lost. And I bet you did pay a lot more than a dollar since they were hand painted. I've seen some similiar to what you have and they are very pretty. I was thinking about doing mine that way, but I don't have the talent that some of these ladies have plus it would mean having to buy a set for each season or holiday. Not I'm thinking just one more set. ;~)

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Sandi, my vote is for the painted also. I have been occupied by a houseful of grandkids for the weekend, so excuse my delayed vote!
    I took a pic of my table before dinner last night. It was just what I had, and keep in mind, 3 kids 5 and under were dining with us! Forget ambience, it is called survival! Maybe I will post it...

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I just went back and looked at the one you painted I really like it and it looks so elegant.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to 2 different DTs today and they didn't have any of the stemmed votives, but they had some pretty cut-glass stemware so I had to buy some of them. There's 3 different DTs around and they all carry different stuff. I noticed even the table that is set up just inside the door with big displays all have different items on them.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, Isn't that strange? You would think they would all carry the same things, wouldn't you? Sorry you didn't have any luck finding more votives. Was the stemware clear or colored? You seem to be finding some good bargains still. ;o) Luvs

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The stemware was clear. They did have some with green stems that were like the ones I already have, but the goblet was a different shape. I can't seem to find any colored stemware at a really good price.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

sandi, I wonder if the stemware you bought were like the cut glass ones I looked at and thought they were so pretty. I just may get some when I go back, also way on a bottom shelf, I noticed some white chargers. They weren't a white-white so they may go with my Thanksgiving dishes. I plan to take a plate with me to see if the color is right. I've been looking for white chargers forEVer! I haven't come across those shades yet but when I do, I will post a picture of them.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, Here's a pic of the glasses I bought today. I didn't see any chargers at all today and I looked everywhere. Well, I did see some of the gold plastic ones at HomeGoods, but I didn't need them.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Yes, those are the ones!!! They are sooo pretty. I DO plan to buy some! Thanks for posting the picture. The chargers were on the very bottom shelf at our store. The plates, etc. were all on the shelves above them. I didn't pay much attention to them at first, thinking they were plates until I pulled one out. I love those Dollar Tree stores, you find some of the nicest things sometimes.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a pic of the one that the glass paint was dry on and one that I just put the paint on. And what the bottles of paint look like. The color on these was "Crystal Clear". I've found that it's best with the crystal clear not to put it on too thick as some of it will not dry clear. Just use a thin coat and then after it's dry to the touch you can add another coat. You just squeeze the paint right from the bottle onto the glass and as you can see it will be white and dry to clear.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to say that the glass tops are a little wobbly on the candle holder so I used just a drop of hot glue on 2 sides of the holder and set the top on. It makes the top very secure, but yet easy to take apart. I glued the tops on before I painted them which made it much easier.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Sandi, those are going to be so pretty on your table! And the glasses! I could see them with little bouquets of flowers going down the middle or placed in diff spots on your table too! I have to find these Dollar stores where you girls find all these bargains! I am going to look in the phone book to see where they are, and they should send you all a few coupons for getting us to go seeking chargers and glasses.
    Mary, I hope you find the chargers. If you do, take a pic, please! I found white ones last week in WmSonoma outlet, but they were on SALE for $20 and I don't want to spend that much!!! I will be watching to see if they mark them down, way down!!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, thanks for showing us how you do the paint. I had wondered how it turned out so pretty--looks like you just do swirls of the paint. This may be something I need to try one of these days!

Yes, Mary, please show a pic of the chargers if you get them. I've not seen any yet at my Dollar Tree--but then again, I probably wasn't looking for them since I didn't realize they might have them! I just learn so much on this forum--thanks ladies!

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Sandi, i've been meaning to post about your votives as I went to my dollar store, but they didn't have any. I like them cause they're very versatile~love your clear swirly painted ones, and the white might be cute for a whimsical type of summer table. I'm wondering how a design in pink might look~i've never done glass painting. Do you have to worry about the paint when burning a votive?

What a deal on the glasses! I didn't even look at the glasses~that will teach me. LOL

If anyone is still looking for stemmed glasses, Kohl's has them at 40% off in purple, green, gold, cobalt blue, and red. I've been 'gathereing' black/cream toile dishes, and will work some sage green in that i've had boxed up, and would like to add a colorored glass~maybe i'll 'go green' since it would work with my pink dishes, too. The pink/green would make for a nice summer look.

I'm taking most of my dishes to Austin when I go with DD/DH. They like to entertain, and i'll have 'all the right stuff!' LOL ;o)

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, I'm not sure about the glass paint and burning the candles, but I'll find out soon. It should be fine though. And thanks for the heads-up on the sale at Kohl's. I would love to have some red and green ones. Where have you been finding your black and cream toile? I haven't been able to find any around here yet. Marshall's had 1 bowl like Judith's left, but haven't gotten any more in yet. I sure hope they do.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

I really like the look of the glass paint, I have never used anything like that. I can see there would be lots of possibilities though with that. A matching vase for instance. I'm sure mine wouldn't look that good, I am not much of a decorative painter!

Are those candle lamps two pieces? I'm still trying to think where I put those shades.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, It doesn't take a painter to use this glass paint on the lamps. It takes no more talent than sitting down with a paper and pen and drawing doodles. ;~)
    I didn't realize they were candle lamps. Thanks for telling me that. They sound much more glamorous now! LOL And yes, they are 2 pieces. If your covers are the right size you could use them instead of the glass covers that come with them.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

A little off topic about the gallery glass paint. I used the frosted on my garage windows - all except about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the bottom so I could peek out. I don't like the innards of my garage showing thru the windows if I happen to leave my light on all night!!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Minnie, I used Gallery Glass on the windows in my front door for the same reason as you. I did pink flowers with the clear swirled background.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

sandi, that sounds so pretty. How did you do the pink flowers? And yes, I would call them candle lamps.

Minnie, I have seen the frosted look on doors and windows and it is nice. I was always going to do some fake lead designs on my door, but haven't tryed it yet. I keep looking at it though in JoAnns.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, I used the same glass paints and the liquid leading to make the faux stained glass design. You can see a pic on this board at the post "Totally OT: Faux Stained Glass". I don't know how to post a link here.
    I didn't know Joann's sold the glass paint. We have a new craft store that opened out here in my small town and it's great. For me, it took a little while to get used to the liquid leading and I'm still not very good at it, but I enjoy it.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Patty, I am going to have to run down to Kohl's this week to see if mine has the stemware. I've not had any luck at Homegoods, Marshal's, Ross, or Target. I'd like to have some green and maybe pink or red (or both)--oh, I am going to have to find another job if I keep wanting all these pretties! ;o) Luvs

• yachter123
    17 years ago

sandi, they'll be fine if you did the paint on the outside, I don't know why I thought it was on the inside!!!
    Guess I was thinking of when people do the swirling in clear ornaments!

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Just now finished reading thru the posts. Anyway, the tops are wobbly, I never thought to put a dot of hot glue on them. Thanks.

Our DT's all carry different things too, wonder why that is???

Also, ours did not have the candle lamps, checked yesterday. They did have some cute small bowls, (I thought) they were in all different colors & looked like spring flowers in a cupped shape. I almost bought some in yellow & then there was as sticker on them saying something about burning candles in them (surprise, surprise) they were candle holders! I could have mistaken them for cute bowls like the ones Judith put on her spring plate settings! LOL, good thing I noticed that, probably not dishwasher safe or to eat out of!!!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yachter, I saw the little candle plates and bowls and thought they were pretty and wondered about using them for food also. I did buy one little yellow plate for Easter, but won't use it for food.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

sandi, your door is very pretty! You mentioned liquid lead, is that real leading? I am hoping they make the "lead" that you just stick on...for people like me! lol. You did a nice job.

I wish I had a Kohl's nearby, but the closest one is about 70 miles. Tomorrow I will see what I can find at Walmart and Kmart and think I will go to all the dollar stores again to see what they have. Hopefully I can find some bargains!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, The liquid leading is in a bottle and you squeeze it out for your "lead" lines. It isn't real leading. And they do have the strips of lead that you stick on. It comes in a couple of different widths and is really good for straight lines. If you're going to be making small curving lines like I did on my door it's better to use the liquid.
    Good luck on your shopping trip tomorrow and let us know what you find.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Sandi, i've been collecting two different toile designs, but they blend well as neither is a stark white background. The first were the toile plates I got from TJ's, and I later found mugs at one of my Ross stores. The second design i've been finding at Ross too~just yesterday I bought 1 square plate and two round in the same design~the round were .49 each! On the reciept it's called 'Bella', so that's either the brand or the name of the pattern. I keep seeing bits and pieces of this design at most of the Ross stores~got a teapot, too.

I'm packing up the pink and might be taking it with me~it's not expensive, but would rather not leave it for DD/GS. I'll be re-doing the hutch in the blk/wht toile and a sage green I found at Kohl's. I have a small sitting room off the kitchen, so will have plate racks with toile plates, too~that's what i'll use the three I bought yesterday for. I know it sounds silly, but am also thinking of how I want my home 'staged' should I put it on the market, and *pink* is wayyyy to feminine, AND personal.

Luvs, sorry you're not having any luck with your stores, but think of the money you're saving!! LOL Most of my stores are on overload with stuff, which keeps my pocketbook empty!

Mary, and I wish I had a Kmart!! I used to have 3 within a 6 mile radius and they ALL closed~was I bummed! One was made into a Sears, which I go to occassionally, but miss the Kmart. Where do you live where there wasn't a 'Sear's takeover'? ;o)

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, Thanks for the info on the black and white toile. We have a Ross' here so I'll check there for sure. Who can pass up plates for 49 cents? Especially since I want the black/white toile.

Are you actually moving to TX? I thought you were just going for an extended visit. We have a K-Mart in Wilmington also.

• judithva
    17 years ago

sandi, I really like what you have done with the glass candle holder, I love how the "painted glass" works. They will look really pretty with a candle burning in them.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Well, my shopping day wasn't too bad, but now I need to go "north to the other stores & get those chargers! DH needed to go to the hardware so I went in and was surprised to see a nice gift area in one section. I bought four leaf salad (?) plates in green. They had them in yellow and redish color also. Wish I would have bought a couple of yellow ones. They were $5 a pc. (not on sale) I also bought a six inch bowl for $2 (reg. $5){{gwi:1410432}}{{gwi:1410433}}

Don't know why the pictures & message are like this?

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Ooops, I know what I did now! The green in these is a little different than the sage green in those napkins so I'll have to now get some dishes to go with them! I didn't think about the shade of green...just that I wanted them. Maybe I can find a floral plate to go with them. Looks like more shopping to do!!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, I love the shape of your leaf plates and I love the green check napkins and your bowl. I can't tell much from your pics, but are your leaf plates kind of an olive color and do they match the bowl? Does your bowl have some pink in it? My monitor is really acting up. I just saw some floral plates (a couple of different designs) in HomeGoods and maybe TJ Maxx the other day that had green in them, but I can't remember if it was an olive green, but they were pretty. I've looked everywhere for some checked napkins like yours with no luck so far.
    I went back to DT yesterday and they had some really oversize stoneware looking plates in a couple of colors, one of them a strange green color that I loved that matches nothing I have. I tried it with a regular size plate and it would be just barely big enough to use as a charger. They only had 4 and I didn't get them because I don't have anything except white that they would match, but I keep thinking about them with white & pink and may go back today to buy them.
    They also had the clear candle lamps and had 2 each of red, cobalt and green shades.
    Another shopping trip???? Sounds like fun. I hope you find your chargers (they didn't have them at our DT)and some pretty floral plates to match your leafs.

• marylmi
    17 years ago

sandi, yes the plates are more of a olive green and the bowl has the same green color with pink on them. It would have been nice if the bowls were soup bowl size but they are a little large to use them for that. They had the plates on a display stand, displaying the different colors, they looked so pretty. The napkins I bought at Walmart & they are more a sage green. So many colors of green! We don't have HomeGoods or TJMaxx in our area, wish we did. It's fun though to have something to search for!

• judithva
    17 years ago

mary, the leaf plates are very pretty, and the bowls are nice too. Green goes with so many things.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, I looked at one of our Walmart's Monday and didn't see the green check napkins. I'll have to check again to see if they get them in.

I just went to DT and bought 8 more candle lamps, 4 with red shades and 4 with blue shades. I can use them other times separately, but they will be great for 4th of July. I also bought the 4 green over size plates they had left to use as chargers. They are the perfect size with my white plates, but I'll have to look for some salad plates or bowls to match them. Maybe in a floral like you said. They almost remind me of the olive green from the 70s, but lighter. Now a trip to Ross to check out the black and white toile Patty_cakes told us about and I'm house-bound for awhile! LOL

• marylmi
    17 years ago

judith, thanks! I have yellow ironstone dishes that I use most everyday. I could use them with those. I put the yellow set away for about 3 yrs., then decided to bring them back out and use them again. I have never really tired of them though, and I have had them for 30 yrs. I like the yellows, pinks and greens and will look for some pinks to mix in. Oh boy...need more storage space! lol

• marylmi
    17 years ago

sandi, it looks like you have been having good luck shopping! I couldn't find any of the candle lamps, but I will be keeping an eye out for them. Using them for the 4th of July is a great idea. I plan to check out the green dishes at Dollar Tree. I'll look again at our Walmart for the napkins, I'm sure that is where I found them. Wish we had more stores!

• judithva
    17 years ago

mary, you are right the yellow will look wonderful with your new green dishes. You know you have a winner when you still love dishes after 30 yrs!

sandi, those will look fab on a 4th of July table, I'm definatly looking forward to those pictures. A 4th of July table is so fun, I just love the colors red white and blue mixed together. Wow, our Ross does not have any black and white toile dishes yet, maybe soon....

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Wow, a lot of shopping has been going on since I have been sick! Congrats on all your new things. I can't wait to see your goodies in your table settings.
    Patty, we still have K mart here, no Sears though. Maybe it will eventually change.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, yesterday when I was at Homegoods, one of the employees had about three patterns of black and white plates on her cart to put out--hope your store is getting some in too. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, Maybe I'll get lucky and our HomeGoods will get the black and white in also. I'll check next week. Thanks for letting me know.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

May I suggest trying that "puffy paint" made by "Plaid" which Donna Dewberry uses in some of her One-Stroke Painting Designs. It could be used for dots, swirls, squiggles, small flowers. I believe it comes in several colors.

Sal

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sal, Thanks for the idea. I believe puffy paint is what Luvs used on her wooden heart cookies. I believe our little craft store sells it so I'll check it out. Whatever I use has to be at least hand washable.

Sponsored
More Discussions