SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_oh_gw

Plate flowers and Jewelry trees

kelly_oh
13 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have picts of this, but I'll try to describe it as best I can. I went to a festival this weekend, where a gentleman was selling plate flowers for close to $200. I know, gasp and shudder, however, let me try to describe them, because I think they were probably worth it (oh how I wish I'd had a couple hundred dollars not earmarked for food and bills and silly stuff like that!!!!) First, the bases, were some metal, steel probably, they stood hmm, 3' tall? he had cut out very large leaves, somewhat in the shape of tulip leaves and welded them to the 'stem' and curved them and turned them, I'm thinking besides for the aesthetics of it for the weight to hold down the flowers themselves. They were beyond gorgeous. The base of the flower was I'd say glass platters, at least 18" wide to close to 2', in all kinds of colors, shapes, finishes, I'd swear one of them was a huge platter of depression glass. Then there was a normal sized plate, then maybe a bowl, with a votive in or a couple bowls, you know they gradually got smaller in size, just like the rest of us do. What was really cool about these, other than the sheer gorgeousness of the pieces, was that they were able to be either a flower or a bird/butterfly bath. The piece that fixed to the stem had two holes, one perpendicular to the platter and one directly under it. The man said he made a mold and cast this piece in resin, then painted it. It was very cool. I told my BF to get to thinking of what we could use instead, he came up with the pvc 90 idea, which may be doable, has anyone siliconed pvc to glass? how's that hold up? I really thought I had gotten over the plate flower thinking, but now, darn it, I may be hooked again. Oh, anyway, the pieces this man used were not GW type pieces. They were all, at least the platter portions, the bigger parts of the flowers, vintage, auction, estate sale type pieces. I'm sure he spend a pretty penny on them. BTW, the reason I don't have pictures for you? Big sign that said "no pictures unless you are buying" you can imagine my thinking about that sign.

The second things I saw, were also just gorgeous and again quite out of my price range! Awhile ago someone asked what we'd do if we had a bunch of costume jewelry and the craft of making Christmas style trees with the jewelry came up. I was in a vintage/thrift store and saw these on the wall and knew I had to share them.

{{gwi:149719}}

{{gwi:149722}}

{{gwi:149725}}

{{gwi:149728}}

{{gwi:149730}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996