SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

To anyone having the grout vs caulk discussion w/ tiler

budge1
16 years ago

We redid our bathroom last summer and, thanks to this forum, I knew enough to tell the tiler not to grout inside corners/change of plane. In fact, I had at least 4 conversations about this with him and his wife who was helping him. Well, I still ended up with grout in some areas.

The worst was between the tile and tub and guess what? 9 months later, and it is all cracked. Of course, his argument was that you caulk over the grout and then you don't see the cracking grout.

Some of you may remember my posting at the time. He didn't just caulk over the grout, but used silicone bright white about an inch wide (even though I had bought the colour matched s. latex caulk and put it in his hand myself). I spent hours in the middle of the night getting it off. Can't tell you why, but at the time I didn't dig the grout out when it would have been easy - probably just too exhausted. He came back the next day and caulked over it with the proper caulk.

So I'm spending my Saturday sitting in the tub digging out grout and scrubbing off caulk, trying desperately not to scratch the new cast iron tub.

So my words of wisdom are that this is an argument worth winning.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths