SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Winter Driving Help?

Rudebekia
10 years ago

I've lived in MN all my life but find myself getting more cautious as I get older. Although I don't have a long commute to work, the short trip can be treacherous 4-5 months out of the year: slick with ice or snow. I currently drive a 2007 VW Rabbit and like the car just fine in all respects. Its mileage is very low and it works perfectly. In general I like a small car for the gas mileage and the ability to maneuver well on city streets. However I want to invest in something that will help me reduce the fear of slipping and crashing. I should say that I'm a 58 year old woman who has never had an accident in my life but, again, find the fear factor rising as the years go by.

I also live in a condo with a very small garage accessed by a narrow right turn. The VW Rabbit fits perfectly. So I don't want a car with a much bigger footprint.

So I have two questions. First, the car still has its original tires, still in fine condition due to low mileage. Should I look into purchasing some type of heavy duty, or snow tires? Will this make a difference? And is so, what type can you recommend?

Second, should I consider selling the car and getting something else? If so, what small car would give me the most stability and safety in winter driving?

Really appreciate any suggestions! I'm clueless when it comes to cars.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths