SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kecomeg_gw

Kitchen layout driving me batty!! Help.

kecomeg
14 years ago

I have been reading and collecting information for years as I get up the courage to do a kitchen remodel. I am always awed by the wonderful help and knowledge from everyone. I hope some of you would be kind enough to share your thoughts on this layout. I have redone it about 20 times and am getting stuck.

Here is some info on us. Family of 5. Kids are older and like to cook - cookies anyway. At mealtimes there are generally 2-3 in kitchen fixing the food. My husband likes to cook and I like to bake. We want a large pantry as we have a lot of "stuff". DH hunts and fishes and we have meat slicers, seal a meals, food processors, etc. He also does barbeque competitions and so a ton of spices and other gear. And, we are going to have almost no upper cabinets.

The door on the one side may seem strange, however we have animals and dogs and need someplace to come in during the winter where wet dogs and coats covered in hay can be dropped and leaves not tracked in everywhere. Right now they come directly into the dining nook.

The space seems large to me, it is double our old kitchen (took out the formal dining room). However, it sometimes seems like I am trying to cram too much in it.

Not sure I like the stovetop in the island. I like the sink at the window as we have a beautiful back yard. I also like the cleanup sink seperate from the stove as we are non-tidy people and the sink always seems to have dirty dishes and someone is always cleaning dishes while cooking is going on.

Doorway to hall needs to open near to office door as we are putting in a patio outside of office and will want to go to patio with morning coffee. Also trying to avoid solid wall on that side so we do not have a tunnel hallway to bedrooms.

The counter behind the stove has the ref, prep sink and oven. I think the refig is too close to stove. Can't put my finger on all the issues, but it just doesn't feel right. I believe the walkways are 42". Aghh, feel myself getting crazy just describing it.

Comments (20)