SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

kids' beds in their closets?

Skyangel23
10 years ago

Hi,
Last question for awhile, I promise. :-) I am so thankful for the advice we have already received on a couple of other issues. We are framing soon and have only a couple of days to change anything. I saw a closet bed while browsing on houzz, and both kids (3 and 8) were instantly in love with it.

The closets as they are now will be 8'8" wide and 2'6" deep from drywall to drywall. Door opening 6' wide. I was thinking of making them 6 inches deeper for 36" drywall to drywall. Then we can build the bed platform 3' or so high, with storage underneath. I would keep the door frame as is so we could put doors on later if we wanted to convert it back to a closet, but we would not put any doors on now.

They will still each need a dresser and probably an armoire (sp?) for hanging clothes, but that still gives them much more space without a bed in the room, and it gives them something cool, cozy, and all their own. My thinking is that even if they decide they don't like it, there is plenty of room to do a reading nook or something similar, and also add back some storage. When they outgrow it, put in a nice clothes storage system and install doors.

Am I missing anything? Has anyone done anything like this? Is 36" enough? Too much? Mattress RV stores carry odd sized mattresses, such as 30", 32", 34", and 36". I thought a 36" wide space would give them enough room to be comfortable even as they grow.

The rooms are a bit smaller with the bigger closets: Girl's room would be 12' by 11'6". Boy's room would be 12' by 10'6". I am thinking the lack of a bed will make up for the smaller space.

Here are some pictures:

Traditional Kids by Other Metro Architects & Designers Kisulia arts

Eclectic Bedroom by Los Angeles Home Stagers Madison Modern Home

Comments (19)