SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhwiseman_gw

Need help adjusting plan to fit family of 8

hhwiseman
10 years ago

We are planning to start building within a year. We'll be building in Utah county on 5 acres of flat farmland. We have 5 kids ages 8 and under with #6 on the way. With many young children we have specific wants/needs for a house. I've found a plan that is close to what we want, but will need some tweaking. We're trying to stay at or below 3000 sqft.

Here's my need/want list, in no particular order:

1. All bedrooms must be on the main level. This is 100% non-negotiable. We'd like 4 bedrooms-one conservatively sized master, 2 girls' rooms, and one over-sized boys room. We currently have 3 girls and 2 boys, and *think* we're going to have another boy, but haven't confirmed that yet. We need each bedroom to have adequate closet space for 2-3 occupants.

2. Kitchen - needs to be roomy and have space for 2 dishwashers, a view of the backyard, a large easy-to-access pantry, and bar seating for 6-8. Aside from the counter top eating space, we only want one dining area. It must be large enough to seat 10. (If we have more guests, they can eat at the bar or we'll set up a table in the great room).

3. Laundry room - must have space for 2 washers and 2 dryers, a sink, folding table with shelves underneath, and a window.

4. Mudroom directly off the garage with bench and tons of storage/locker space for a minimum of 8 people. We need a 1/2 bath near the mudroom.

5. Bathrooms - I'm not too picky about the master bath, I just don't want it to be too large. Closet should be accessed from the bathroom. Kids' bathrooms: the girls will share a jack & jill bath, boys will have their own.

6. Additional rooms - we homeschool (I'll bet you saw that one coming!) so I'd like a separate space for a school/play room, still on the main floor. We also want an office space. I work from home and my husband brings his work home often, so we'd like a place to keep work stuff where the kids won't get to it.

7. Lots and lots of windows along the back of the house (it will face south).

8. Room to expand. I'd like to plan for some unfinished space (probably in the attic, but might consider a basement space), with room for 2-3 bedrooms and a large bathroom. Or 2 bedrooms + bonus room and bathroom.

---------------
I'm attaching a plan that has the basic layout that we're looking for. We need to add a mudroom and half bath. The boys would use the guest room, but need to move the entrance to be near the other bedrooms. The girls will use the other 2 bedrooms w/ the jack & jill bath (that needs help!). The gameroom will be our homeschool room. The kitchen/dining space needs a big adjustment. We'd want to cut the formal dining space and probably push the kitchen down, but how do we keep the large pantry? We could probably cut off most of that breakfast room bump out. For the laundry room, we can expand the wall to be the same as the study so there's more space.

Any other suggestions? We definitely plan to meet with a draftsman soon, but want to take him/her a plan that's as close as we can get it.

Comments (21)