SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graffito_gw

GE 36' induction cooktop - need screws! (plus more whining)

graffito
14 years ago

Part 1

While waiting for kitchen to be finished, I scored an open box GE induction 36" cooktop for under $1k, while shopping at the Big Orange Box (HD).

Came the time to install it, I realized that the installation "kit" was missing. Store employee: "Oh, I opened the box, don't remember seeing any of that stuff."

GE -- after numerous calls to GEParts -- finally sent everything -- after only 1 call to GEAnswers (they are that good!) -- INCLUDING the 'back ordered' Heat Baffle (how did they do that??), EXCEPT FOR THE SCREWS to install such things as the Heat Baffle and hold down clips.

According to GE's computer systems: the screws are no longer 'manufactured.' As if.

I don't think GE actually makes such screws, but that same computer system doesn't list the size and shape of the screws, other than that they are hex-headed, like all the other screws on the case.

None of those other screws are the right size, BTW.

So. Can anyone out there tell me about those screws? I'm happy to go to any hardware, plumbing or electrical supplier and buy them, if only I know what to get.

GEAnswers is working on this, and they'll probably get it; but those little screws are holding up the entire job.

And, also, what does that heat baffle do??? It's tiny, it's thin, one is tempted to say flimsy. What is it supposed to do with all that heat that purportedly radiates from the bottom of the cooker?

We also have a new 36" Bosch gas cooktop available to a loving home.

Comments (8)