SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyns06

How can I maximize natural light with a 10' porch?

Lyns06
12 years ago

Hey guys!

I'm still in the floor plan stage, so I'm trying to flesh through any questions/problems before I get there.. we'll see how that goes!

Anyhow, I really want a home with a lot of natural lighting. Our land is going to be in an open area within a very wooded area in the country. We won't have any neighbors within view and so I am wanting a whole lot of windows to maximize the natural light.

The only problem I see with this is that my husband and I fell in love with a floor plan that has a 8' porch on the front and a 10' porch on the back.

My plan is to have very large windows to pull in as much light as possible, but are the porches going to prohibit the light, even with the large windows? I really love the cozy feel of a covered porch outside of the windows, but am wondering if I would be better off to keep the front porch and maybe plan a large deck on the back?

Also, the house (a cape-cod style) will have a cape-cod (not sure what it's called) upstairs window visible to below in both the front of the house and in the back (above the great room).

If I do stick with the porch, what size windows should I aim for to get the most light in? (The ceilings will be 9' tall.)

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus