SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Will I have enough natural light in my house?

shelly_k
15 years ago

We are building a ranch home with what I consider to be quite a few windows. But I've never had a home facing the directions that this one does.

The house will back to the south and the street side will be facing north. So the bulk of our windows will be on the south side of the house. However, some of those windows will be shaded by a covered deck (great room). So we won't have many windows that face the east and west except in the bedrooms. My kitchen is in the center of the house with no windows.

Will it seem dark in the main living areas of the kitchen, bkfast area and family room? I love lots of natural light but DH probably thinks it is unnecessary. What I am considering is tubular skylights in the family room and kitchen to help. But again, DH will probably think it is a waste of money because we have lots of windows. But I'm just wondering how much light those windows will let in?

Does anyone have a house with the majority of the windows facing south? BTW, we have some mature trees in the back, but they are toward the back of the lot and won't provide much shade. No shade trees anywhere else.

What do you think? Will I need skylights or not?

Comments (12)