SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff2718

Help with insulation decision please

jeff2718
13 years ago

My wife and I finally got bids back from contractors for the construction of our new home in Birmingham, Alabama. After our initial sticker shock, we think we've settled on a contractor and have been working with him and our architect at bringing the cost down.

One area I'm hesitant about is insulation. We specified cellulose throughout, but by switching to fiberglass batts it looks like we could trim about $6000.00 from the bid. I've worked with the payback estimator at the link below, and if I've done it properly it looks like the payback on upgrading to cellulose would be in excess of 50 years.

My issue is that the calculator neglects some things that seem pretty important, like the air-sealing properties of cellulose over fiberglass (the calculator considers only the R values of the insulation type). Also, the calculator is based only on heating degree days, but of course in our climate cooling is a big expense.

We're using 2x4 construction with .5" XPS sheathing, and the walls should have a total R-value of 19.49 with cellulose and at least 16.49 with fiberglass. I'm tempted at this point to do fiberglass in the walls and keep cellulose in the attic, but I was hoping to get some feedback on this. Also, if anyone knows a reliable way to estimate payback for various kinds of insulation in our climate I would really appreciate a source!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulation Payback Estimator

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio