SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Is it OK to use wavy-edged tile for a tub deck?

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I'm nearly convinced to use the same tile for the tub deck as I have for the floor - I have enough. Surround looks like it will be wood, as will be the apron material, or I'll just do a deco and a bullnose. I just haven't found a square tile I like with my floor.

Here is the floor tile:

Here's the tub - only have 4-5" to tile along the edge at the widest point (plus enough to slip under the rim since the tub is foamed in place), roughly a foot at the ends, of course more than that along the curves. The tile is 11.75" (roughly)

Will this look OK with a rustic barn board apron (and maybe low surround)? Is there any reason not to use this tile on the deck (other than the edges having to be squared off along the front and where they meet the walls - but since the corner of the deck sticks out 1.5" past the linen closet (see 2nd and 3rd photos), the drain end of the deck will have to have all the tiles cut at the wall to keep the grout lines straight, I could cut an extra 1/4" off each to get the wavy edge off the corner piece. The front and back pieces will have to be cut anyway - probably use a little less than 1/2 tile on each side at the narrowest point. So that really only leaves the right-hand wall that would have to be squared off, I'll have to make sure that I don't have a tiny corner then at the ends of the tub but I think it can be done.

But should I keep trying to find a square-edged tile so I have the smallest, straightest grout lines possible on the deck?

I am definitely using this tile on the floor, I have a similar tile in the other bath and love it!

Thanks

Comments (4)