SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

vent about a vent hood

macybaby
14 years ago

DH and I are major DIY'ers, and we made sure we had the hood on site before doing any installs. Now due to other issues we decided to go ahead and install the hood in a temproary frame as our cabinets are delayed until who knows when (DH is making the cabinets, and had a small encoutner with the table saw - he still has all ten fingers and everything should heal up fine but he won't be making any cabinets for some time).

I got out the installation instructions and used the specs to make a frame to hang the vent from. They clearly show in two places that the screws must be placed 15 1/4" from Center line of the hood. Ok, that is 30.5 inches on a 36" hood - would mean that the mounting holes should be 3" in from the sides of the unit.

Get the frame all made and start installing - I went back to the box to get the mounting screws so I could drill the holes - and took a good look at the hood. Those mounting holes are no where near 3" in from the side of the hood!

Yup - instructions are WRONG. The holes are 16 7/8" center line on the hood (for a total of 33 3/4" apart). Big sigh - take the frame apart and cut two new boards the correct length.

In the end it's on the wall and looking good!

And I know better - it's always best to measure the actual unit and compare against the numbers in the installation manual.

Cathy

Comments (2)