SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Getting to know you....

patty_cakes
17 years ago

After reading thru Judith's thread on 'Inspiration pics for Accessorizing', and Paintingfool giving us some insight into her likes, I thought it would be nice to know if we have a particuliar decorating style, and what our likes/dislike are, and what are the favorite things we surround ourselves with. So here goes..........

I'm the 'typical' traditionalist, and like classic lines in furniture and accessories, but also like a little glitz thrown in, AND sometimes a bit of whimsy! I do not like modern or contemporary for the simple reason that it doesn't give me the 'warm fuzzies'. I consider cottage to be on the traditional side, and my kitchen and sittingroom are done in a floral walpaper, and definitely more feminine than masculine, but hey, it's just ME! I also like being a bit over the top, which to me means, 'you-can never-have-TOO-many-accessories'!(my kids think otherwise~I have five grown 'kids'). ANY space can become the 'canvas' for displaying~walls, tables, a desk, bookshelves, countertops~just about any flat surface where 'something' can be hung or displayed is fair game.

If that isn't enough, i'll hang a 'flat surface', otherwise known as a shelf, to get MORE display space.

I have collections, but i've limited myself to never having more than a dozen of anything. Teacups/saucers, teapots, sterling silver, crystal, anything with Roses is sure to get my attention, and anything cream or white. If it has some detail, all the better, as I like detailing/adornment on anything, and the word 'plain' is not in my vocabulary. I LOVE lamps and lampshades, which I switch about from room to room just about every other week. I also like silk floral arrangements and greenery, and I don't care what was said on HGTV!

Almost nothing in my home was bought new! I love the thrill of the hunt, and my favorite haunts are flea markets(the Rosebowl is ALL you can imagine!), estate sales, antique stores, thrift/consignment stores, garage sales, and love shopping the sales. Retail stores on my list are Tuesday Morning, Homegoods, TJMax, Marshall's, Ross, Target, 99 cent stores, and just about any discount store~almost forgot Big Lots!

I love burning candles, and burn them every night to add a little romance into my life~a man is a nice 'accessory', but not necessary. LOL I also like ambient lighting, except when i'm reading one of my MANY home decorating books or magazines in my bed, surrounder by a mountain of pillows, and a hot cup of tea.

Home decorating has become my 'hobby' and it's fun to help friends and family because they know it's something I put my heart into, and am very passionate about. Every home needs to have heart, and you don't get that thru the use of an interior decorator, unless you insist things be used that *you* love. You home has to make your heart sing!

My biggest dream is to have my own little shop. It will be named 'Sisters', because of my three daughters and the closeness they, and myself, share. My two sons will be on the sidelines cheering me on, as they know it will not be a 'manly' sort of place.

So these are a few facts about what I like, and i'll add my six grandchildren who are a big part of my life to that list, also! My life would be nothing without my five children and grandchildren! I have been truly blessed. ;o)

patty_cakes

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions