SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
broconne_gw

New Construction - HVAC Dilemma

broconne
15 years ago

I am cross posting from the HVAC thread because this applies to both domains. Hopefully, that is within policy.

Hoping to go under contract next week on new construction. However, I am faced with an HVAC dilemma that I am having trouble solving on my own. The builder seems not inclined to let me talk directly to the HVAC sub (protecting his people from annoying customers - I imagine is his stance). However, if I pushed, I am sure I could have a conversation with the HVAC sub - however, I would like to do a little research on my own so that I can hold an intelligent conversation - and I don't want the building process to start off contentious.

House:

New Construction

2 Zones

3900 square feet

39 Windows

R13 and R19 insulation on walls.

R30 in second floor ceiling.

R19 in garage ceiling

Included Equipment: (Cheapest Carrier they could find)

A/C Unit Carrier 24/ABB (One for each floor)

Furnace (Basement): Carrier 90% 58MCB

Furnace (Attic): Carrier 80% 58STA

I inquired about replacing the A/C units with a heat pump - apparently I am the only person who has asked to do that in this development. The price to do so is $1050.

The heat pump he would install is a Carrier 25HBS3 which is a 13 SEER HP.

I am trying to calculate my ROI on using a heat pump and can't seem to find a simple method to determine my payback period. If it is 5 years, then it is a slam dunk. If it is 10 years.. I am not so sure I would spent the extra money. Does anyone know what the payback period is for such a system?

Winter electric rates are: 9.634 cents per kWh

Gas costs are: 1.177 per therm.

I have tons of other questions as well:

Would a multi-stage furnace be better than a heat pump?

Should I do a heat pump only upstairs and remove the 80% furnace? In that scenario does the heat pump with electric strip backup perform better - specially since the downstairs would be fired by gas if emergency heat was needed?

I swear, HVAC is very confusing the more I look into it, the more questions I end up with!

Comments (9)