SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appaloosa909

where to start?

appaloosa909
15 years ago

I have a mess!!

I started to re-caulk my tub and 3 piece surround when I realized that the mold/mildew was inside or behind the caulk. After removing the old caulk, I bleached and realized that the back wall had popped off (glue gave out??) anyway I laid in the tub with a flashlight and looked underneath and saw (and smelled) mold.

I removed the 3 piece unit and saw that 90% of the glue wasn't stuck anymore and that more than 1/2 the wall with the spigot and the long side wall (that has a window in it) was covered with rot and mold. I ended up taking out the backboard and found the wood surrounding the window rotted(even the metal stripping is rusted and some is gone), the wood surrounding the pipes full of mold and the entire base that meets the tub rotten.

I have known for some time I was going to have to deal with this bathroom, but I was re-finishing wood floors and painting the downstairs. I'm handy but have never tiled before.

My question.... now what?

I know I need to have the wood surrounding the window replaced.

I know I need to replace the window.

How do I get rid of the mold on the wood thats not rotted?

do I replace it too?

Can I paint the tub white?

What kind of sheetrock goes in the tub area? Cement board? Do I use that in the entire bathroom? ( I'm going to have to remove the tile in whole bathroom including the floor anyway)

Do I tile the tub area first then the floor? or vice versa?

Toilet is fairly new but want to replace sink, medicine cabnit and vanity.

I'm overwhelmed!!!

Thanks for reading

Andrea

Comments (2)