SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garymunson_2008

Building for energy conservation

garymunson-2008
15 years ago

Has anyone besides me looked at their plans pre-build to minimize energy consumption? A little 'early intervention' will provide monthly savings on the power bill without sacrificing comfort. Things I addressed were choosing a plan with a hip roof to provide all-around 24" overhang to block summer sun but allow lower winter sun in, also taking window height into consideration with the overhang's effect. 'Hiding' a substantial part of the west side of the house behind the garage to minimize heat gain, Minimizing all west-facing windows, having a 6/12 or better roof pitch to maximize convective movement of attic air, radiant barrier in attic. Using heat recovery on A/C equipment for free hot water. These ideas are best suited for warmer climates, the reverse strategy is probably best for northern locations. I go after things that lower cost without adversely impacting comfort. I hate having to turn thermostats down to save power when some intelligent design work will give results without suffering.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES