SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitzisue2

upstairs egress windows

mitzisue2
16 years ago

Hello!

We just turned our plan over to our designer yesterday, after months and months of fine-tuning. One surprise we had was that she said upstairs bedroom windows had to be egress, an assertion that most of my research today on the internet supports. However, when I called our building inspector a few months ago I was sure he said that upstairs bedrooms didn't need to be egress. Not wanting to bug him too often and get on his bad side before we even begin building, I thought I'd throw this out and see what I could learn from some of you before contacting him again. One concern I have with upstairs egress, is that in order to fit the minimum size (and still match the top of our 80 inch doors), our double-hung windows will end up being 23 inches from the floor or lower. That doesn't seem safe, either. Plus, on the first floor we tried to go with narrower windows (we have quite a few 24 inch windows grouped together), so having really wide windows upstairs (the minimum double hung egress, according to our designer, is 37" X 57") would look odd. If we go with a 29" wide window, it would have to be 71" tall, only 9 inches from the floor!

Any good advice for me? I'm sure I've seen two story houses with less than gargantuan windows!

Thanks so much!

Comments (12)