SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walleyemn

Legal egress bedroom basement window height

walleyemn
3 years ago

Hello,

We have a split level home in Minnesota. 2 bedrooms upstairs and 3 bedrooms below grade. Our home was classified as a 2 bedroom when we bought it. From what I can tell, it's because from the base of the basement windows to the floor is around 48" and if I recall correctly, the legal egress height is 44".

Fast forward a few years and we are contemplating selling and building a new home. We have made some improvements along with the market value rising, but we are still looking for ways to increase the value of the property.

Is there anything that I can do other than installing new windows to make them legal egress? I have heard that installing a permanent step below the window can fix this, but thought I would ask. Or, is it the fact that the 3 bedrooms are below grade? FYI, the bottom of the windows is only a few inches above ground level and we have a walk out basement. Also, the windows are tall crank out windows that I can easily climb out. I will have to measure when i get home tonight for the exact dimensions, but I remember looking them up a while back and they fell into the legal size.

Comments (7)