SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Can't believe it - final inspection...

rhome410
16 years ago

And we passed! We still have a LOT of work to do, but after several days of fighting with the Health Dept who kept cancelling our inspection appointment, saying they didn't have the paperwork they've had for 2 weeks, they finally released us and we got it. It's so nice that we can finally move in. We've been living in an old mobile home on the property, running back and forth, some stuff here, some stuff there. A big pain. Until the house is more complete, I don't want to move everything, but more essentials will be nice, and making meals here will be so much better.

2 more big steps: 1) Getting the appraisal for our mortgage and getting the actual funds so we can pay off our construction loan which was due Feb. 1. We'll need to get as much more finish work completed as we can before that, even though everyone feels like letting down now that the inspection hurdle is made. It will be a busy week and weekend...I hope!

2) Demolishing the mobile home. We have to peel off the siding to try to recycle it, then have the mh crushed and hauled off. DH is weighing whether to tackle it ourselves, with the help of our excavator/septic contractor who has the equipment needed to crush it, or just use a contractor who specializes in mh demo. I'm tired, so I'm leaning toward the latter. But DH thinks we could save up to $2000, and is enticing me by saying it would buy a lot of new things for the kitchen or some badly needed new furniture...Hmmm.

Tonight we celebrated by making our first dinner on our new rangetop and having decadent sundaes for dessert...Pretty much took the night off.

The house still looks more like a job site than a home in a lot of places, so not quite the move-in I'd envisioned... But, I'll take it!

Comments (9)