SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odom1846

Need to trim LVL from 18" to 16" - Can I?

odom1846
10 years ago

I have what may be a very easy question, or complicated.
I am flooring in a great room that goes up to the second floor. I had a truss shop design and build the floor trusses and an LVL to add to two existing LVL's. The room is about 16x18. The existing LVL's are 18", so they spec'd me an 18" LVL. After removing all of the sheetrock, and measuring the trusses and hangers, that it simply will not work, unless I cut it to 16". This will allow the hangers to hang on the top of the LVL and the bottom will line up with the bottom of the LVL. I also had them spec this on 16 O.C. instead of 24 O.C. for more support. 80psf instead of 40psf. Can I cut off the 2" I need to make this work, and not forfeit the support much? I am hoping to get this done this weekend, and the truss shop is closed. The new LVL will be placed on top of two 2x6 studs on one end and two 2x6 studs on the other, then nailed to the existing LVL's. The span of the LVL between studs is 15ft. the LVL is 18ft and will continue down the wall on one end. If I can cut the two inches off, the subfloor will lay over top of the LVL and match up with the wall, along with matching with the bottom for the ceiling. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)