SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobm91001_gw

Requesting opinions on appliance selections. (Long)

bobm91001
16 years ago

Hi All!

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, ever since DW and I decided to take the plunge on a long overdue remodel (kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 baths); this is my first post. I really appreciate the experience and advice that I've read in these pages, so I'm hoping you all will be willing to help keep us steered in the right direction.

A little background... we have hired a designer (a friend who's work we admire) and only just begun what you all know is a long process. Anyway, since we want a usable, as well as beautiful, kitchen, we feel it is important to make appliance selections early on. We have a small late 50's kitchen, so what ever we end up with will be great. We both like to cook (me more than DW) and bake (DW more than me). DW has a large family, so we will entertain the family often and now that the kids are nearly out of the house, we plan to entertain friends (and our growing family) more. We have been "shopping" for several weeks now at local dealers and have made one trip to a distributor's showroom.

Below are our current choices for our appliances and our reasoning behind the choices. Please comment, especially about misconceptions we may have, things we've missed, or things we "hit on the head".

Cooktop - 48" Thermador PCG486ED - 6 burners with griddle - Our current cooktop has 4 burners, not enough. We want all burners to be of equal size. We are debating on grill versus griddle and like Thermador's easy to clean titanium design (is this a Teflon/PTFE/PFOA non-stick surface?). According to the distributor, if you get the griddle, an exchangeable grill is now available (fits over the electric element) so we can have both! I think the 15,000 BTU burners should be fine for us, undoubtedly more than we have now.

Ovens - Thermador PODC302 - double convection ovens - Can't wait for these, they have to blow the doors off our single 1958 24" Kenmore gas wall oven! We like the idea of knobs over electronic key pads (half the keys on our current microwave/convection oven currently don't work). We also like the full extension racks and will probably order extras (each oven only comes with one). Only concern is that I have read some questionable reviews, anyone have any direct experience (good or bad) with this particular model?

Refrigerator - 42" Thermador KBUDT4265E - This is roughly the same size as our approx 10-year old GE Profile SxS, but with more accessibility. We like SxS and don't think we'd like a bottom freezer. We like the layout and look of this fridge. This has to be the toughest choice (especially considering the price). We've not seen anything (except the more expensive Thermador Freedom columns) that we like more. Our fallback may be an Electrolux ICON, either built-in or cabinet-depth.

Dishwasher - Thermador DWHD64E - A good friend has a very similar Bosch and is very happy. I hear (read?) good things about Bosch. The Thermador is made by Bosch, right? We've picked this over the 9-cycle model since we don't expect we need the extra cycles and it appears that this one is easier to operate. Again, can't wait for this one (whatever it is); after almost 22 years of marriage, I'm still sleeping with my dishwasher! (OK, I help out sometimes :)

Ventilation - 58", 1200 cfm Vent-A-Hood NPH18454HSS - is there any other choice?

We hadn't planned to go with just one brand (or mostly one), but the Thermador stuff just feels like a good fit.

All thoughts, comments, critiques are welcome....

Thanks in advance,

Bob and Helen

Comments (10)