SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Sharp convection micro or micro + Breville toaster oven?

lithigin
13 years ago

Background: I plan to use either of these appliances for cheese toast, baking dinner rolls, baking a small batch of cookies (at least once a week), and the usual toast, reheating pizza, etc. I plan to use it a bunch for our family of 3, soon to be 4 people.

We had planned to get a Sharp 930 convection micro (or Panasonic; haven't looked into that one much yet). I can live with $500 for it, but the matching trim kit is $200 and the appliance guy recommended the Dacor trim kit due to its superior build quality, which is $300. Crap; that's a big upcharge there!

So I just read dozens and dozens of Breville Smart Oven reviews, and all were 5 star RAVES. Pretty reassuring! I'm now wondering if we wouldn't do better to get a good $200 microwave that is smaller and doesn't require a trim kit and get the Breville 800 mini oven for $250. Whatever we choose will be put in a cabinet stack, so space isn't the prmary issue, but the convection trim kits add several inches to top and bottom, in addition to the larger machine itself.

Pros/cons to plan #1:

+Single appliance for maintenance (also a con; if problems, will have to spend more to replace)

+Takes up less space than 2

-"waste" of money and space on trim kit

Pros to plan #2:

+One fabulous appliance (Breville) and one maybe problematic micro (easier to replace one item down the road if necessary)

-Two appliances to buy

+Seems like get more bang for buck

-Takes up more space for 2 pieces

Am I dumb to be hung up on this trim kit cost? Is there some DIY option where we just put it on risers and leave space above when we do the cabinet hole? Any other factors that I should be considering?

Thanks!

Comments (14)