SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Accessory forum, TOO?

patty_cakes
17 years ago

I know this is supposed to be a Holiday forum, but since the stacking plates, AND tablesettings(thanks Judith!!) generated quite a bit of interest, could we also use it as an accessory forum, and how to use them? I can't help but think some great suggestions could be offered, and besides, it's nice to 'bounce' ideas off others and get their opinions.

I used to get on the home decorating forum quite a bit, but there are way too many members, and it's just not as personal as coming here. Half of the time you're ignored, because let's face it, if your question/suggestion isn't always one that's interesting, it just moves on to the next page, which can sometimes be frustrating. I find it also too generic/general as the subject range can be so drastic.

It seems there are a very limited number of women(?)that come here, which makes it a more personal forum, and everyone seems to post on just about every thread. Personally, *I* like that! It shows consideration and interest and doesn't make anyone feel ignored. The smallness of the group can only make it better. If others come join, that's ok~they'll know if the forum interests them or not, and either stay or leave.

The accessories~wall displays, table vignettes, floral arrangements, cabinet/bookshelves/shelving ideas, window treatments, fabrics, lighting and lamps, how to's on displaying collections, and the list goes on. Pictures/ideas can be your own or from a magazine or tv show.

So whatcha think? Should we give it a try? Just thought this was a way to take us through the entire

year, even when there *aren't* any holidays. ;o)

patty_cakes

Comments (30)

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

We can if you want. The Crafts and Decorations might include accessories. Not too much going on here so why not??
    I've asked for a gallery here. I use the Crafts and Deco gallery to post my photos. Everyday is a holiday!!!

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Excellent idea Patty. I agree with your thoughts on this being somewhat of a "personal forum" being the same folks posting to other posts. This forum, Garden Junk, Trash to Treasure have all been such "good friends" to me, I just love this and check it two or three times a day. I think these forums are just that anyways, good friends helping others out with a kind word or a suggestion, etc.

Sal

• Related Discussions

I am getting too grumpy for forums.

Q

Comments (5)
    Used to have those questions when I was still in the hotel business on a military post. What do you think, it's not an amusement park and no, you cannot watch the troops train out on the range and because you are an US citizen does not mean that you can visit the Gold Vault. In this day and age, when everybody has a computer, look up where you are going and check what there is to do (grumpy with you).
    ...See More

I'm just thrilled to find this forum am a Newbie too

Q

Comments (2)
    welcome BARBZEE, newbies always welcome here; send your new friends chicago way; ty
    ...See More

I asked this on the photography forum too

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks to everyone- We have an old Kodak Easyshare that still makes good pictures indoors but there is a problem with too much light on the right side of the pictures outdoors. Oklamoni, I looked back at some of your pictures and they are all so sharp- this camera is just not doing that. Karen, this picture is an example. Of course it had to be resized but the original looks pretty much the same. I had DH take a picture, too, to see if his was as fuzzy as mine and it was. I may have changed a setting before making this picture but those made with just the automatic settings are really bad. But shouldn't the picture be sharper than this? I think we will return this camera and try another brand. Make = Canon Model = Canon PowerShot A720 IS Orientation = top/left X Resolution = 180 Y Resolution = 180 Resolution Unit = inch Date Time = 2008-04-23 11:31:54 YCbCr Positioning = centered 1001 = 3264 1002 = 2448 Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 280 A401 = 0 A402 = 0 A403 = 0 A404 = 3264/3264 A406 = 0 [Camera] Exposure Time = 1/125" F Number = F4 ISO Speed Ratings = 80 Exif Version = Version 2.2 Date Time Original = 2008-04-23 11:31:54 Date Time Digitized = 2008-04-23 11:31:54 Components Configuration = YCbcr Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 3 Shutter Speed Value = 6.97 TV Aperture Value = 4 AV Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV Max Aperture Value = F3.51 Metering Mode = Pattern Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Focal Length = 13.16mm User Comment = Flashpix Version = Version 1.0 Color Space = sRGB Exif Image Width = 640 Exif Image Height = 480 Focal Plane X Resolution = 14506.667 Focal Plane Y Resolution = 14485.207 Focal Plane Resolution Unit = inch Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor File Source = DSC [Thumbnail Info] Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail) X Resolution = 180 Y Resolution = 180 Resolution Unit = inch JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 1064 JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 7345 [Thumbnail] Thumbnail = 160 x 120
    ...See More

x-post to Vines forum too - poor wisteria year here so far!

Q

Comments (17)
    Faith - we definitely have good years and bad years with the wisteria, but this has been the only year since each of them started blooming that there has been virtually no bloom at all! Nessdizzle - Good Heavens! I would prune that thing like mad! It probably also needs a support post or two. The dense foliage can act like a sail on windy days. The trunk remains flexible even when it gets thicker than the one you have. In a high wind, the tree might fall over - but the trunk bends, not breaks. In that link I gave you, you can see pictures of when our Japanese one blew over a few years ago.... We ended up putting angle-iron posts on either side, running tie rods between them and then tied the trunk to the tie rods. I remember reading an RHS article on wisterias that said most Victorian-era wisteria trees still alive have iron rods at the center of their trunks - support rods that the trees grew around and are now inside the tree trunk - taking a chainsaw to one of those to take it down could be very hazardous! I took one of your pictures and drew lines to show where I'd start pruning - see below. I'd start by taking it back to a couple of stems, then take off masses of the foliage and stems so you can see what you have under there! Then start thinking of what you want it to look like and refine your pruning to start creating the shape you want. Our Chinese one is rather roughly shaped, aiming for a fairly upright tree with lots of branches to show off the flowers - which largely bloom as somewhat short racemes before the leaves emerge, so being branched fairly low gives flowers over a larger area of the tree. The Japanese one, on the other hand, flowers mainly after the leaves emerge and has longer flower racemes, so it displays best with no branching lower down so the flowers dangle free from above - although we always need to prune off some foliage to display the flowers. Almost all of the summer growth gets cut back regularly to maintain the shape we want - for the Japanese one, imagine an umbrella with a fringe of flowers hanging down... :-) Given how fast wisterias grow, you have lots of chances to adjust the shape if you don't like your first attempt(s) at pruning! Be bold! Have fun! The more pruning you do, the more flowers you get is our experience....
    ...See More
  • Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, It sounds fine to me if no one else has any objections. One thing to consider though is that if this forum is used that widely it may become way too busy. Is there someone that runs this forum that needs to be asked about this? Sandi

• judithva
    17 years ago

Sounds good to me, I tend to think that it is truely a whole seperate/specialized decorating subject in its self. Accessorizing is a challenge to master, I still have my struggles with it so I would like to see more attention to accessorizing. There are a lot of talented people out there that are good at accessorizing, but as Sandi said, it would probably get busy. A while ago, in the home deco area in the "Gallery", I started an Accessories post, but no one has added anything (pics) to it yet, it's just my stuff, I was hoping people would add their ideas to it, so maybe if we have a specific catagory people will participate more?

• judithva
    17 years ago

Here are a few "accessorizings" that I have done in the past forgive me if some of you have seen these already.

Closeup

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Minnie, i've gotten on the craft/decorations forum several times, but it seems to be mostly crafting, which I really don't do too much. The closest I get to that might be floral arrangements, but not really a craft, per se, but still something I make/put together. Definitely moves pretty slow, though.

Sal(craftylady), agreed! I've noticed those particuliar forums are friendly groups, too. Just seems to me when the group is smaller, people are more polite, and think twice before slighting anyone because you've come to think of them as your friends.

Sandi, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. More importantly, the subject matter(hopefully!)will stay more 'on track' than home decorating, which like I said, is so general. Keeping it holiday AND accessorizing will generate only those intersted in discussing one or the other. Ot's of course, since we're a small group, and life DOES happen. There is a manager, but adding another subject into the forum is probably something that doesn't involve them. Their 'deal' is keeping out the 'riff-raff' and spam, and you don't even see too much input from them when that happens.

Hi Judith, good to see you back, AND with pictures! Since there IS no specialized forum for this topic, this could be the best place. Holiday docorating encompasses accessorizing, but it involves bringing in very specific decorations pertaining to the particuliar holiday. It's too bad the accessorizing gallery never took off~it would be a great 'tool' for inspiration. Seems there is more 'paint speak' on the home decorating forum than anything else. I don't own even one paint fandeck. LOL If word gets out that this forum has picked up the topic of accessorizing, and it gets busy, so be it. Like any forum, there are those that come and stay, and those that post once, get what they need, and are never heard from again. There will always be the 'regulars'. Your pictures are gorgeous, and i've NOT seen them before~thanks for being the first to post. I have to get batteries for the digi and start an album on photobucket or someplace. Recommendations???

Glad you all think this could work~I just like coming 'here', and thought we could use a little bit more variety since there isn't a holiday every month. LOL

patty_cakes

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

judithva - this is the first time I've seen your beautiful displays. What a wonderful way to enjoy your things.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, You know I've seen your table displays before, but I have to say again that I love them all. The round table I want to use is now against a wall so the display would be seen from the back also. I'm not sure I will like that, but I'm going to fool around with it a little today and tomorrow and yall can let me know what you think. Sandi

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Oops! I should have typed NOT against a wall. And Patty_cakes, I use photobucket and it is really easy. Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Pattycakes, If you get your camera working and can transfer your pics onto your computer, we can help you get set up on Photbucket so you can post here. If I learned to do it--you know it's not that hard! LOL

I'm not at all opposed to including accessories on this forum--in fact, it would be quite fun to see someone's "normal" display in their home--then how they change it out for the holidays. Just like most of us are trying to do now for Valentine's Day.

Gardenweb seems to have been very accomodating about setting up all these forums. If we find we are getting more into accessories than holidays--we could always request that they open a new forum for us under that category.

With that said--I need to tell you that my "decor" is not very up to date. I'm retired, so am at the stage where I am "making do" with the furniture that I already had. However, I do enjoy buying a new picture, figurine, plates, pillows, etc. to liven things up a bit. That's why dressing up the table or making a nice arrangement on an end table is so appealing to me. It's fun, I can use what I have in new ways, and I can shop for small items that will add just the right touch.

Guess what I am saying is--don't expect any fancy decor pictures from me, but I will be glad to share what I do as far as tablescapes, flower arrangements, and other decorating items.

Luvs

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Patty, I think it's a great idea. I found the Home Decorating Forum a bit cold. I posted one question and basically got a re-paint your room answer. I was asking about using my pewter collection (particularly sconces) in rooms that are painted a soft gold. (my l/r, d/r and foyer which have all been painted recently) I just felt that the pewter looked odd against the gold wall???

Well repainting isn't an option - at my house painting is an occurrence that happens very infrequently. DH had a painting business years ago and you know what they say about the painter's house. I went through at least 7-10 quarts of different colors on the walls before I settled on the soft gold color. So far, I have just been going with it, trying to make it work. DH is definitely not going to re-paint all of those rooms.

Any event, I just posted a decorating/accessorizing question on the holiday forum about using the pewter and am hoping to get a more practical response:))). I was admiring all the new purchases and figured you gals could perhaps help me out with the dilemma of colors.

I am relatively new to these forums. I am a bit "craft-challenged" but with a little encouragement and direction, I don't do badly. Judith was kind enough to help me with a cake pedestal centerpiece for my DD sweet 16.

I'll be checking in here as well as the holiday forum since I am enjoying and learning!

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, We don't have a lot of money so I always have to compromise on what I buy. If I had my way, I would go to Cracker Barrel right now and buy the cabbage settings. If money was ideas I would have it made. LOL
    I haven't bought any new furniture in YEARS except for junk. My decorating is old and out of style, but I still like it. I can't afford to buy new furniture, but I can have fun decorating for the holidays. No one I know around here is into decorating their homes, much less decorating for the holidays so I really enjoy this forum with yall above all others. Sandi

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Sandi, girl you must be from the South! It made me smile to see "yall" in your post. I am from Florida, can't get much more Southern than that. I retired last year so I am on that famous "fixed income". But I sometimes find really good items at the Thrift Store or yard sales. You can have an really nice setting just by adding color. Find a simple set of white china (or Corelle) and place a pretty cloth napkin on top (I have made my own from material I found at Walmart). Wrap a pretty spring flower around the napkin, simple but pretty. I think cloth napkins can make the most plain setting elegant. And you know what they say about junk being someone else's treasure.

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

I think an Accessory forum would be great...:)
    I do love seeing everyones pictures...I believe that even if our homes are decorated differently, on different budgets and for different lifestyles I can learn and get ideas from each person here...:)
    And I think accessorizing can be done on a small budget as well and give a great sense of satisfaction because you created something pretty and change and a little update ones home...:)
    I also like that this area of gardenweb is smaller and friendlier...I had similar experiences as some of you did on the decorating board...I ended up not posting and instead just read because I felt I was not up to par to talk on that board.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Yes, I am GRITS (Girl Raised In The South). Born and raised in MS, but now living in NC, at least for a few more years.

I have a set of plain white dishes and a matching set of plain black. I love the black and white mixed together and I also want to buy others to mix with both of them separately.

I tried to make some cloth napkins one time and was not at all pleased with the hems. I might have to try again if I find the right material. Sandi

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

NOT SO EASY! I mentioned in another post today that I have a very old, ruined, lace tablecloth that belonged to my grandmother. I said it was white, but it's ecru. It's a pretty big rectangle shape and for the life of me, I can't get it bunched right on my little round table. Any ideas on how I should lay it out? It has to be bunched up to hide all of the stains and tears. It makes me so sad to see how abused it was. Sandi

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Sandy, two suggestions on your grandmother's lace tablecloth - either dye it a darker creamer-off white color or lay a colorful tablecloth underneath it to mask the areas you don't want seen, such as a floral cloth underneath and bunch it up altogether. Check Joann's for the big sales on fabric. I get some very nice fabric there on sale. And believe it or not, Walmart has some great fabrics too. I recently bought $10 a yard fabric on sale at Walmart for $2.00 a yard. Keep looking around, you'll find something you like.

Sal

• judithva
    17 years ago

Wow, it's great to see so many of you excited about an Accessory forum, it is my favorite thing in decorating. I think because for so many years I had very, very little money,(actually I still don't have much being single LOL) so all I could afford to do was buy a plate here a glass there etc, I did not really have great furniture, but accessorizing helped make it feel "done" and "personal", and it enables me to be creative on a budget because everything can be moved around to different rooms for the most part when I am tired of a "look".

I do post sometimes on the main deco board mostly photos (not so much advise), but not as much as others, because I don't feel as confidant about my decorating expertise as other people do. I am a very visual and touchy feely kind of person, I HAVE to see what is available and be able to "move things around" for myself, and that makes it very hard for me to communitcate well to someone who may be asking a decor question, plus, well, I am an amateur at this, I know what I like, but it still may not be correct..I am also in fear that if I go on with my opinion, I will hurt someones feelings, decorating is so subjective to each individual person..... Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is I love to help people, but at the same time I am nervous about it since there is a "long distance" type of communication going on.
    With that said, I am looking forward to everyones ideas and me throwing in a few myself. (sorry this is way so long- winded)
    PS. I finally got my home lap-top and internet set up last night, wireless set up was a nightmare, I could go on and on about this but I think this is not the place LOL, I will make a trip over to the Computer forums to ask some questions on what the "provider" last night could not answer.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Sal, My tablecloth is so full of too dark stains and tears that dying it will not help. I wanted to use it kind of like a shawl, but I just can't get the layout right. I'll keep playing with it.
    I do need to check fabrics at Walmart & Joann's this week. That's a good idea as I haven't sewn anything for quite awhile and it's long overdue.
    Judith, I know you are really happy to finally have your laptop and internet up and running. It will get easier as you go.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeaaaaaa, i'm so glad you ladies are for this!! If a room 'ain't' accessorized, it just 'ain't' DONE !LOL Kind of like leaving the frosting off the cake.

I like 'collecting' decorating books also, and subscribe to a couple of magazines, and may even pick up a couple more during some months. If you think you might want a specialized book on accessorizing, Christy Carter's Art of Accessorizing it the BEST. It's loaded with pictures/ideas that, IMO, anyone can actually put to use, not just 'fluff'. She also gives the principles of display, but at the same time tells you there are no hard and fast rules. It's all about what YOU LOVE.

I buy almost all my books thru Amazon, and most of them are 'used', but they're really new~probably from some large discount bookstore/dealer.

You don't have to go overboard with books like I have, but it's nice to have one really good book as sort of a reference guide. Just something to think about. I like to take my books and read in bed~sure makes dreaming nice! ;o)

patty_cakes

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Didn't want to make my other post too long, so decided to make this a separate post re: Sandi's stained tablecloth. There's a spray called Folex that i've used for getting red wine out of off-white carpeting that has set for several months. Years ago one of my DD had a NY eve party, and to make a long story short the wine got spilled on the carpeting. I had the carpet cleaners come, but nothing seemed to work. One day when I was at my local drug store where they rent the cleaning machines, I just thought I would look at their cleaning products. I picked up one called Folex, that claimed to take out red wine~sure I thought, but bought it anyway. Well, guess what? It WORKED, and now i'm never without it!

I buy old linens~tablecloths, dresser scarfs, aprons~and they alwwys have stains on them. My good 'ol Folex has taken care of a lot of stains, but i'll be honest and say it's not a 100% 'cure-all' for all stains, and I know some of them have been there for years.

So Sandi, what do you have to loose? I don't think it's as harsh a treatment as bleach would be and would weaken the fabric even more.

I've purchased mine from the drug store cause it's close, but bought a gallon of the stuff at Lowe's not too long ago(they have the spray bottle too, as does HD). The small spray bottle is all you'll need~it's 32 oz for about $6, and you don't dilute it.

If it's lace, why can't you sew the tears~they probably wouldn't even be noiced. I have a huge gold color crochet tablecloth(?)that I use as a canopy for my four poster bed~it was my great-aunts. I would be sick if I had to get rid of it. It had one hole in it when I got it, and I just sewed it up, and you can't even see it.
    Try the Folex! ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Pattycakes, Thanks for the book reccomendation, I'll take a look at that one. I liked it when you said "anyone can actually put to use"--so many times they show things that are "one of a kind" or so expensive.

I sure have been looking at all my items in a new way since I've been on this forum. And guess what? I found a way to make some more space in my storage area, so if I move some seldom used things out there, I will have more inside storage available. Yeah!

I love magazines too. Had to curb my desires a bit, but still pick one up now and again. I am not too crazy about the newer big fat ones that are mostly advertizing. Love the ones with lots and lots of pictures.

Well, I better quit rambling on here. I'll check back in later today.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, If the tablecloth hadn't belonged to my grandmother is would qualify as trash. It has major huge stains, cigarette burns and some places are actually shredded. I will try the Folex and will sit down and do a little hand sewing repair just to keep it in one piece, but it can never be laid out flat again. Thanks for the tip on the Folex.
    I love decorating magazines also, but agree with Luvs that most of them have way too much advertising and show such expensive stuff, and usually way too formal, not to mention the cost of magazines to begin with, that I buy very few of them anymore. I'm always trying to find new decorating sites online to satisfy my cravings. Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, Pattycakes, you are so right about Folex. It has been one of my cleaning staples for years and years. In fact, I just went to get another gallon today. Little GD had spilled milk on my livingroom couch and I just found the stain so had used all I had left on that cushion. Yes, it took it out--and made the cushion look so much cleaner that I realized I needed to clean the other cushions too! LOL

Sandi, I love it that you are sentimental about your Grandmother's tablecloth. Do try the Folex--it won't hurt it. Spray it on, roll it up and let it set several hours or overnight. Then wash it in warm soapy water and see how it does. If it helps some--do the same thing again. I've had items that were badly stained and I've repeated doing this three times to get the stains all out. And do stitch it up the best you can--that will actually make it easier to fold and bunch it up around an object on your table. Won't you be proud if you find a way you can actually use it and enjoy it? Luvs

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's the website for Christy Carter's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0696222159/ref=s9_asin_image_1/103-6802004-2903052

Make sure you click on the pictures from the book in the lower left hand corner.

There are 6 new($17.95 and up) and 6 used at $15.75. Regularily it's $24.95. there ae 189 pages and EVERY page has a beautiful pictures. Here are the different chapters.

Chapter 1/wall decor
    Building a symmetrical wall arrangement
    Asymmetrical balance

Chapter 2/signature accessories
    Building a tabletop display
    Beautiful bookcases
    One coffee table four ways
    Accessorizing a kitchen hutch
    Before and after cabinet display
    Step-by-step shelf arranging

Chapter 3/flowers and foilage:
    Quick seasonal changes
    Dressing the dining table
    Before and after plantscaping

Chapter 4/ambience
    Decorating with lamplight
    The power of fragrance

I've gotten more inspriration out of this one book then I have out of ten others.

Ms. Carter's mission statement is 'giving back'. At the end of the book is an article of how she worked with a group of wowen to help build a home thru Habitat for Humanity.

I'm always impressed with anyone who gives back when they've been blessed with so much. ;o)

patty_cakes

• judithva
    17 years ago

I totally agree with patty_cakes, I have that book too, it is down to earth and easy to understand. I also like the Nell Hill books by Mary Carol Garrity.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Judith, Nell Hill's books keep me up at night!! I just can't STOP thinking!!LOL I too am a very visual person and can 'decorate' until the wee hours of he morning. LOL Same with clothing. I have her first two books, but not the Christmas book. I think there may be a third coming out~I thought I read that someplace~sure hoping so!!

CC's book is excellent for both inspiration/motivation and if you're just getting started in accessorizing. Like I said, her style is for the every-day home~you don't have to live in a mansion to appreciate it, or put it in YOUR real life environment. ;o)

patty_cakes

• judithva
    17 years ago

patty cakes,
    She has 3 books out:
    Nell Hills Decorating Secrets
    Nell Hills Christmas at Home
    and her newest: Nell Hills Entertaining in Style, I have them all and I get something interesting from all of them, they were worth it to me, I do love her style. I think you would like the new one too.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Judith, will have to go look to see what I have~thought I had two, but know it's not the Christmas one. I would love to visit her shop AND her home! And to think it all started with her Grandmother.

I've always been interested in decorating too. One of my project in Home EC(are you old enough to remember THAT?LOL)was to redo a room, either in 'real life' or just pictures glued on paper. I chose to re-do my bedroom, paint and all. I remember choosing a brown/white print bedspread and drapes, sheers underneath, and new lamps, and remember having my Mom buy some pictures for the wall, but can't remember what they were. She had given me the Mahagony furniture her Mother gave her when she and Dad married because she had gotten the 'new' blonde furniture for their bedroom. I never thought too much about it, just thought it was 'old'. Sure wish I had it now~i've learned the art of appreciation. ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I took a look at those books on Amazon. Now I know what to ask for as gifts for my birhday--they all look so great. Somehow the entertaining one is very appealing right now--maybe because we have all been discussing dishes so much lately. ;o) Thanks for the suggestions.

Pattycakes, what a great project for a teenager. Bet you really enjoyed that bedroom because you did it too. Yeah, there are lots of things that I wish I had hung on to--why do we only appreciate it when it's gone? Ha ha

Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions