SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westranch_gw

Aggressive drivers

westranch
18 years ago

I live in Birmingham, Alabama and people drive like complete and total maniacs here. It's BAD. I just wondered if this is isolated, or everywhere. I'm talking about cutting people off, tailgating, lane changes without signaling, out of control speeding, etc. Is this just a sign of the times? I feel like I'm supposed to sign a release and put on a helmet every time I turn the iginition key.

Comments (66)

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The illegal aliens try to drive safely for the most part for a good reason, because many don't carry insurance, but they do get picked up for DUI fairly disproportionally. The most agressive drivers do seem to be either young whigger and chigger types or white males up to age 40 or so, probably frustrated by work or family. The worst offenders for driving too fast in a residential neighborhood are definately soccer moms in SUV's, rather ironic.

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

I have a mom down the alley in a red mini-van thing. It's like a car race scene when she back's out of her drive and zooms to the end of the alley in a gravely sliding eek eek turn. Incline there, wouldn't surprise me if she prematurely ruins parts in her left front suspension. Gotta be bouncing her cell phone off her ear.

• Related Discussions

Driving Pet Peeves

Q

Comments (22)
    Drivers who barrel onto a highway when merging as if they have the right-of-way. Drivers who don't use turn signals - how lazy can you be? Drivers who think the roadway is the Indianapolis Speedway, weaving through traffic as if there's a big trophy waiting for them down the line. Drivers who don't get into the lane they need to be in until the last possible moment and then they squeeze in suddenly causing everyone behind them to hit their breaks. Drivers who pass you in no passing zones when you're going 5-10 miles over the posted speed limit. Drivers who suddenly stop when there's no stop sign just because they think there should be one. When a car pulls right out in front of you, causing you to slow down since they can't get up to speed right away, and you look in your rear view mirror and there are no cars as far as you can see. Why must they practically cut you off when there is no one behind you? The best is when that car never reaches the speed limit and crawls in front of you for miles and miles and miles. My BIGGEST driving pet peeve is people driving through red lights. I see at least 20 cars each day drive through lights that have just turned red.
    ...See More

Commute times and buying a house

Q

Comments (52)
    Whatever you do, before assuming that the train schedule is accurate, or that such a neighborhood is x hours from work, do a test run. At rush hour. In my subway days, I could count on (1) the train always came when I was about a block from the station, so I had to wait for the next one (2) the train was always delayed by something--people holding the doors, the dispatcher holding the train in the station to make a connection, etc. (3) just because it's a 'subway' doesn't mean it won't be affected by the weather. That goes double for an all-surface train. I second the previous poster who pointed out that unless you're at the end of the line, you'll never get a seat on the train, so forget all those fantasies about sleeping. I'll add that you might not even be able to get *on* the train--plenty of times I had to wait for the next train because the first one was too crowded to get on. Certain trains--like the 7 in Queens--even if you do get on at the end of the line you may not get a seat. It's that busy. So, bottom line, before assuming you can handle a certain commute, make sure you're thinking about that commute realistically. Your '1 hour' commute might easily be 1.75 hours more often than not.
    ...See More

A "what would you do?" driving question.

Q

Comments (39)
    I wasn't quite sure what you were asking until you later clarified. I guess I usually move over when there isn't traffic. So many people just don't know how to merge it's a way for me to eliminate frustration. Actually I usually stay in the middle or left lane to eliminate merging issues like this too. And I seldom use cruise control. It wasn't until the vehicle I got about 12 years ago or so that was the first vehicle I ever had with cruise but living in a climate that has winter, I found that cruise isn't something I use much for several reasons but that's another topic. SO, back to the initial question! Although I would probably move over, I'd also likely speed up a bit or if they're moving up enough to obviously give some speed I'd let them go in front of me. Occasionally I get "people" (and I'll refrain from calling them what I want to call them!) who play chicken, so I try to avoid it. I run into it a lot around here when there's a lane ending and someone tries to get that extra car length... It's frustrating but the older I get the more I try to make it not bother me. The piece of driving advice that sticks in my mind is from a friend's father who told his son "Drive like the other guy is crazy!" Best advice I ever heard.
    ...See More

Anything make YOU want to act like a three year old??

Q

Comments (81)
    Things That Make You Peevey Part Deux... I don't have any sort of fit about this, but it's a bit of a peevey issue...Here, when describing home, or any really, "stuff" that has been accomplished, the author will often say "We did this"...And I take that literally, which makes me all sorts of excited because I'm an avid diy-er. But further reading reveals that they didn't do it. They HAD IT DONE. If someone else came in and tiled your bathroom, then you didn't "do" it, did you? You simply paid for it. Anyhoo. Is it too early for a cocktail? I will make it myself :)
    ...See More
  • westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If anything, these forums prove that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the interstate. Especially, if soccer mom is burning rubber.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

So what is the solution to this problem?
    Much more tolerance
    Man being less greedy
    Much more stringent driver training
    no solution ?
    More than once I have said that Mexico is winning the second rendition of the 150 plus year old Mexican War.

This is due to our politically correct people..
    Language can make or break a nation...

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

More than once I have said that Mexico is winning the second rendition of the 150 plus year old Mexican War.

This is due to our politically correct people..
    Language can make or break a nation...
    True words indeed !
    As for a solution to agressive drivers, you will not find a way to make people less greedy, we need more cops on the road but they can't find anyone who wants to be a cop, video surveilance, tougher driver tests, higher fines are all things that could be implemented fairly easily.

• christopherh
    18 years ago

We have aggresive drivers up here in Vermont too. Tailgating, horn blowing, Letting you know you're number one in their book, etc. But they all have New Jersey plates on their Hummers. (They just don't realize we're laughing at them!) The little old ladies around here get into their Range Rovers and look at the Hummers and say: "The riff raff is here."

But we really don't have much of a problem with tailgaters. Up here, if you're not going fast enough, they simply pass! What a concept!

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Tailgating, horn blowing, Letting you know you're number one in their book, etc.

Yeah, they do that here, too. There seems to be one special finger which should be used to indicate "number one". :-p

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Why is it that the least ergonomically designed vechicles,(SUV's)have drivers that think they are in an Indy racer?

• pugger
    18 years ago

I was coming into the office this morning, had a rager in Nissan p/u pull the -burma shave- speeding up & coming off the back bumper to pass on divided 4 lane w/stop signs.

I stay in my lane through a red light and stop sign. At stop sign I pull ahead of rager since his move put him 3 cars back - that lane always clogs and up he would know that if perhaps he just wasn't so angry.

I turn on the long 2 lane going to another 4 lane divided. I'm going at least 10 mph over speed limit on this road already and while he's not on my bumper, he's really staying close. I turn left onto next 4 lane, and he's closely following me into the turn (saying he did a rolling stop would be putting it mildly) and pulling the burma shave again coming off my bumper to the middle lane. I turn right into my office, I'm way early today and I bet he is too, his bldg can't be a mile down this road because the divided hwy ends at the freeway that far down. The roads I've described are taken to avoid the congestion on that very freeway.

This happens way too much, what is going on here?? This guy appears to be white, professional, and if I saw him on the street I really doubt he would treat me so aggressively.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

The drivers, very comfortable in their automobiles, no outside noise, the stereo blasting, latte in their cupholders, the HVAC system operating perfectly, all the windows up.....are in their own little world, closed off from all noise and distractions of the outside world.
    They must be dreaming/pretending they are some NASCAR race driver, all other drivers are competitors, fighting for every inch of highway space.
    Insanity !
    Solution - bring back the model T Ford !

• User
    18 years ago

This happens way too much, what is going on here?? This guy appears to be white, professional, and if I saw him on the street I really doubt he would treat me so aggressively.

You're absolutely correct there, pugger. There is a sort of anonymity to operating an automobile that apparently allows some people to lose all sense of courtesy and common sense. I used to date someone who had real anger problems, to put it mildly. It really came out when he was driving. He was one of those who would weave in and out of lanes (speeding, of course) and when someone would commit some perceived slight, he would pull in front of them and either slam on the brakes or slow way down. He was a maniac. Yet, if any one of his victims were to have had a chance to confront him, I am certain he'd have crumbled immediately. He was in several accidents in the two years we were together, which segues into my next point...when I see someone who is really being an idiot on the road? I get away, even if it means I have to pull over, etc. It's not worth getting hurt or killed.

• vstech
    18 years ago

all you complainers of aggressive drivers think this through.
    most in city highways have rules that truckkers have to follow. usually limiting them to the right two lanes. now, the right lane is where most onramp merging occurs, fill this lane up with truckkers stuck in this lane, and it gets kinda tough for the average driver to even enter the freeway.
    I usually drive in the right lane only if I am towing a heavy load (no, I am not a truckker) when I don't feel like driving 20 or so above the posted speed limit, I drive in the third from the right lane, leaving the right two lanes for trucks to pass slow driving vehicles. now, if you are one of those "speed limit enforcers" that drives in the middle or left of center lanes. MOVE TO THE RIGHT! the statement that says there are plenty of other lanes to pass in, may not take into consideration the restrictions placed on truckkers, it probably doesn't take into consideration that passing on the RIGHT is ILLEGAL! so if someone is too close to your rear bumper, they may be a$$Os but they may also be in a legitamate hurry, get out of THEIR way! move your slower moving vehicle to the right. IT'S the LAW!
    I bet you are also the same type of persons that stop completely when a funeral procession is nearby, but completly ignore an ambulence speeding toward the injured.
    respect the ambulence and avoid the funeral is my opinion!
    my 0.02
    John

• uncledave_ct
    18 years ago

Interesting article with a specific true-life example of how out of control this is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Life Example

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a coworker tell me I shouldn't get so angry about careless, aggressive drivers. I told him that it should be alright to be angry. That's a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. But, you should never let your anger dictate your actions. Then, you become one of them.
    That's why I vent on the internet, not the interstate. :)

• pugger
    18 years ago

Maybe I'm not as well versed in the law, but I do know the roads I described are not 6-lane, "slower traffic keep right" freeways where I have seen such signs. These roads have traffic lights and stop signs, not on-ramps.

I guess I also don't know what the law says about legitimate emergencies, outside of what it indicates for the police/fire/ambulance.

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

Ever seen that old cartoon where goofy turns into a maniac when he gets behind the wheel, I saw it in drivers ed.
    And how about that George Carlin skit where he says " you ever notice everyone on the road is either an idiot or a maniac as in why won't this idiot get out of my way or geez did you see that maniac go if they pass you "

• Pawprint
    18 years ago

Today, going the speed limit = a slow driver. And that is perfectly fine they want to follow the law, but why slow everyone else down?

I drive the freeway 5 days a week. I have to get in the middle lane to pass people in the "so called" fast lane. All the time. I get SO mad! They are going the speed limit in the fast lane, NO ONE in front of them, and 20+ cars behind them wanting them to PLEASE move over! Do they not look in their rear view mirror and say, "hey, I must be holding up traffic?" Then you see one after another car pass them and cut them off. And they STILL don't get the hint to move over, and get mad for being cut off in the first place.

Steve O: I don't think anyone in Ohio has seen a traffic accident either because everyone here likes to stop and take a good long look because we have nowhere to be!!

P.S. I also get furious on freeway on ramps. I always get stuck behind someone who thinks they are about to enter the Walmart parking lot on Sunday, going 10 miles an hour.
    THEN expect to merge with traffic already going 65+. Then they look over, panic and stop the car! OMG. I keep yelling, the accelerator is the pedal on the RIGHT! Use it!

Whew, needed to vent!

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I only use the left lane to pass. What bothers me, is it seems no matter how quickly I'm trying to pass, there is always someone twelve inches from my bumper wanting me to go even faster. I feel that if I am less than 10mph from being at 100mph, while trying to pass and get out of someone's way, that that's fast enough.
    I swear, if I was gonna get out there and maintain 120mph, there would be someone behind me, furious that I was holding them up. I just stay to the right now, and leave home earlier. I forgot about trying to pass a year ago.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

8 hrs of real drivers training every 5 yrs, driving age increased to 18 for probationary license, positive proof of insurance, something like a microchip in the card that stops transmitting if insurance runs out, increase the speed limits, on the highways, but also increase fines and arrests for those not following the rules, and last pay for it by increaseing gas and lisense fees and taxes. these increased fees would be earmarked for only road and transportation use. also add a big tax to vehicles of a certain size or engine displacement, as in full size trucks,suvs,vans etc, except for people in trades that required their use.plumbers, farmers etc. the average person could still own one but would be looking at something like 5000.00 in tax for ego boost. another thing that i would like to see is neighborhoods and citys that bar the use of private vehicles, you park at a large parking area then take a bus ride a bike or walk, returning to you car after work or shopping.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

bill_h, don't forget mandatory license re-exams at certain points (either age-related and/or incident-related). There are too many people who've forgotten the rules or cannot execute the commonly-accepted rules (like driving the speed limit does not entitle driving in the left lane).

• bill_h
    18 years ago

steve o thats an excellent idea, and could be done very easy. but i dont expect any of this to happen. driving has become a free for all. as much as i love the automobile, as a great machine, and great art, if i never had to drive again it wouldnt bother me.

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In the community where I work (Mountain Brook, Alabama a.k.a. "The Tiny Kingdom")people seem to be oblivious to the pedestrian right of way laws. Once, while crossing the street, in the pedestrian crosswalk, I was already in the middle of the intersection, when someone made a left turn on top of me, narrowly missing running over my feet.
    Should I have kicked their vehicle with my foot and acted like I had been run over? That's what someone told me to do the next time it happens. And, it will happen. I've just become very passive, making sure there are no cars around before I cross.
    It seems there is no respect, consideration, or thought given, to anyone other than the driver himself these days. I have become totally passive as a survival technique, but then I feel like I'm giving a part of myself away. Like my civil rights.

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

Yes I for one would kick any car that cut that close to me.

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

And it most likely will knock you on your tail. Just reach out and touch one,,, to see what happens.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

A retaliation against tailgating :
    Lay down a nice big nasty oily smoke screen from your old Mercedes 300D !
    These same fools also tailgate the big dump trucks and then cry when a stone chips their paint or the windshield...

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know I'm not going to be able to change the way people drive by posting on this forum. I basically do it for my own health.
    The pedestrian crosswalk I mentioned earlier is a four way stop sign intersection. No traffic lights. No one EVER comes to a complete stop. Just a rolling stop, if that. And, it's directly behind the Police Department! They must have all the funds they need already.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

its not just your area, its the same thing here in my area s.e. detroit.

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So, I guess moving won't help huh? lol.
    I'm in my early 40's, and I've noticed that most kids today are not being taught the same values that were taught to me by my parents. Integrity, common courtesy, human core values are almost obsolete. All you have to do is watch MTV for 30 minutes and you will quickly discover why respect for another human being will be obsolete in a few short years. The line has been crossed and there is no going back. I think I heard my dad say that once, oh about 30 years ago.

• bill_h
    18 years ago

well look at it this way westranch, your drivers are as bad as our up here, but at least you dont have to put up with our cold miserble weather. wow you can manage to watch 30 mins of mtv. i can only handle 5.

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

I cannot handle 2 seconds of mtv.

• christopherh
    18 years ago

I had a '88 Volvo 740. When I had a tailgater at night I turned on the rear fog lights. Those puppies were bright! The guy behind me always thought I was braking so they always backed off.
    I drive about 40,000 miles a year in my crafts business. I never really have a problem with tailgaters on an interstate. That's because I always travel in the right lane. Especially when towing the trailer. I never have problems with truckers either. When one passes, I flash my headlights to indicate it's OK to pull back in. And I get a thank you flash of his taillights every time. Even from the garbage haulers in NJ.

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

christoperh, I've always had a good driving relationship with the truckers. I think they are overall very knowledgable drivers.
    billh, you are absolutely correct. As I start my day here, we're looking at a high of near 70, with sunny skies. And, I'd probably be less stressed if I reduced my intake of MTV to only five minutes. Lol.

• mxyplx
    18 years ago

Dusting Off a Tailgater 1983

I was driving south on the superslab (I-5) with a 47' semi-trailer load of wood chips some north of Arbuckle. A small sports car tucked in behind my trailer to draft. He was about 4 feet back! Well what for? Certainly not to save gas, he must have been getting 20+ mph anyway. It wasn't too bad for a while. It happens all the time and after a bit they get tired of it and give up. This bird didn't and it began to get on my nerves a bit so I when I passed an older couple in about a 54 Plymouth I pulled in so my trailer missed their left front fender by about a foot or less. Less. Well the sports car was so intent on sticking with me he actually forced the old couple to dodge over partially onto the shoulder so he could maintain his position and that pissed me off.

About that time we went thru the big "S" curve under the overpass at Arbuckle (we cald it Beltbuckle) with him right on my tail 3-4 feet. I moved to the left lane so did he. To the right lane him too. Left lane again right lane again same drill. Now at that time just south of Arbuckle there was a long extra wide shoulder where I think there had been an old time truck stop before it was made over into a freeway. This wide shoulder was paved part way then the pavement ended abruptly but the wide shoulder continued only it was gravel.

Well continuing from above after swapping left and right lanes I moved over onto the paved shoulder, him too, and here come the gravel. I never let up. 60 mph. When I looked in the mirror that sports car was about a mile back.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

This makes no sense, mxyplx, why would a man want to tailgate a big truck ???

Too bad you were not hauling sand or gravel, his windshield and front would have been ruined.

I say, if the fool is intent on tailgating a big rig, let him enjoy the scenery !
    What is bad is when an oversized SUV tailgates a normal automobile; and when they do this and I happen to be in the left lane, I take my sweet time in moving over ! And todays highways are so crowded and there are so many upcoming left turns that now, if I am in the "now ex-passing" left lane, I stay there !

So many people are so damn rude ,intolerant and hell-bent on tailgating today that a man must move over to the left lane early(whenever there is an opening)....

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And, most of those interstate tailgaters do so on multi-laned side streets as well. I guess they think it's the interstate. Nevermind that someone might need to make a left turn and ruin their day by making them apply brakes!

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

The other thing that drivers do around here is when they are involved in a small rearender on the freeway they just sit there exactly where the accident happened and do not attempt to get off the road so traffic can pass thus causing a huge backup. It's as if they want to preserve the crime scene ! As soon as a cop shows up, they just get em to move off the road immediately, for gods sake it's a rearender ! I always make an attempt to scream "get it off the road " and wave my arm wildly as I pass, they always look at me w/ a stupid stunned blank look.

• vstech
    18 years ago

on the interstate, tailgating is often the result of idiots in the left lane not showing curtsy by giving way to someone willing to go faster than they are. eventually someone with enough guts or anger will get close enough to count the gray hairs on the offender's head.
    MOVE OVER FOR SPEEDERS it is much safer for you and it prevents the speeder from building up anger and making a dangerous move.
    think about it.

• mxyplx
    18 years ago

Earthworm

Not tailgating. Drafting, drafting! They tuck in very close behind and the suction pulls em along and a very light vehicle almost gets a free ride. Can't even see em sometimes. Great sport.

And when they drive under the trailer they never see the puking truck driver or hear his nightmares......
    ===================================================
    I've always hoped that sportscar driver I dusted off so long ago grew some whiskers (became a safer driver) because of it. His paint got pitted a bit and his top was down so he probly did too but he and his passenger stayed alive. If he hadn't forced that old couple off the road I'd a never did it. Never.
    ===================================
    Incidentally a few years ago I wrote up some of my truck driving adventures before they faded away. Hence the date 1983.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

Your truck driving experiences would be interesting, mxyplx.

So, in an effort to save pennies, the sports car driver plays Russian roulette with his life, forces others off the road, and causes the truck driver nightmares..........
    That makes sense , for one with no brain......

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

I pulled up behind a semi, early evening in the rain, rush hour traffic leaving tampa proper on the interstate. Bumper to bumper 60 mph traffic probably and I was in a mgb in a rush to get ahead of the pack who were going to be all over the place racing to slow down for exits. I wasnt exiting, wasnt tailgating this truck on purpose, just ended up there.

Semi dead in front of me locked its real wheels and I was right there watching the tires lock and unlock with my headlights ... scared the cars next to him opening a hole for me up to change lanes and come up beside him. Never did see why everybody braked, so I boogied on northward.

It was truely amazing being so close behind and watching the locking/unlocking the tires on this huge trailer ,,, and it didn't even seem to slow it down at all.

• mxyplx
    18 years ago

With a couple million miles unner my belt I concluded, as any truck driver does, that most driving "situations" fall into a relatively few typical catagories. One that comes to mind is drivers accelerating onto a freeway to freeway speed but then slowing down for a bit then resuming freeway speed again.

Though momentarily discombooberating it becomes expected and therefore tolerable. In fact when it doesn't happen it is surprising. I have noticed this particular behavior is not as prevalent as years ago and have concluded it is because the older pre-freeway drivers have died off.

I never could unnerstan this catagory till I found myself doing it one time. Here's what I found. I had accelerated my ancient velocipede to freeway entrance speed (a harrowing experience), entered the freeway then, feeling that I had accomplished a good thing ie done a good job, just relaxed which of course meant my foot came off the throttle a bit. Finally realizing my mistake I speeded back up.

With this insight I found much greater tolerance for the situation. Please realize that years ago a 200hp truck getting slowed down might take a mile to get back up to speed. Today they are running 600hp-700hp or more; just have to lean on the pedal a bit harder so the situation is much less intolerable.

Ultimately with enough miles and years you become quite a student of the human nature and behavior of drivers particularly 4 wheelers to say nothing of the highway patrol. Over the years I became less and less perturbed when the various situations developed, learned to take em in stride and indeed to forget em within a minute or two. Literally.
    ===============================================================

An above post mentioned accidents where the people just sat. Now I had one time read that it was found that passengers in airplane landing crashes often survived the wreck but not the aftermath. Careful observation showed that, for example, 150 survived the landing but only 20-30 evacuated the plane. The majority just sat there. I truly believe it is the same with freeway wrecks. They survived the crash, ie did a good job, now they could relax; stop thinking. Possible fatal error of course. Driver training does not stress, "get the hell outa here." It should!

It all comes down to mental conditioning, either by formal instruction or by a self analysis involving the process "if such and such happens just what should I do?" Having a "correct thing to do" in mind increases the chance you will do it; that is the reaction is at the ready. Figuring it out at the moment doesn't make it ie may not be a viable timely option.

Well I could go on but I believe the best thing is to be aware of and be alert for various typical situtions, note the typical behavior, expect it and then be content to go along with it maddening as it might be because you can't really correct it. You will be a safer driver because you will be mentally comfortable.

And as vstech says; "if they want to pass, let em." Both of you will be more mentally comfortable. Regardless of speed or conditions or percieved excesses a mentally comfortable driver is a relatively safer driver.
    ========================================================
    And of course I note here on this thread, as usual, it is always the "other guy" who is the lame brain. None of the above posters has ever made a single solitary driving mistake of any kind.

Have you? :-)

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

No never !
    great observations, sometimes I see the drivers out of their vehicles standing around trading info ect... and still leaving their cars blocking traffic, preserving the crime scene if you will. Also do you notice that it is more fun to yell at people when you are the passenger in someone else's car than when you are driving your own vehicle.

• carguru520
    18 years ago

From Meestir Earthworm..

There must be an English only policy, but it is probably too late for that...

Alsos one policys for the idiot american

• johndeere
    18 years ago

RE: Aggressive drivers
    Posted by: vstech (My Page) on Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 11:41

on the interstate, tailgating is often the result of idiots in the left lane not showing curtsy by giving way to someone willing to go faster than they are. eventually someone with enough guts or anger will get close enough to count the gray hairs on the offender's head.
    MOVE OVER FOR SPEEDERS it is much safer for you and it prevents the speeder from building up anger and making a dangerous move.
    think about it.>

In Illinois it is against the law to drive in the left lane unless passing.Thats the most stupid law they ever wrote.Naturally if your in the left lane going under the posted speed limit.But more then likley if your passing you are going the posted speed or above.So why should I be in a hurry to get back in the right lane and cut someone off.Just to make some gear head running 10mph or more over the limit happy?If he was not speeding this would not happen and the law was written I feel to help the speeder.Dumbest law I ever seen.

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

carguru520, yes, one policy for idiot americans who think all official goverment documents, road signs, ect... need to be printed in 30 different languages, now that is truly idiotic. Not forcing people to read and speak english for schools,goverment and business further fragments and balkanizes our society to say nothing about condeming non-english speakers to being second class citizens and destroying our school systems.

• vstech
    18 years ago

Posted by: beaglebuddy (My Page) on Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 11:52

In Illinois it is against the law to drive in the left lane unless passing.Thats the most stupid law they ever wrote.Naturally if your in the left lane going under the posted speed limit.But more then likley if your passing you are going the posted speed or above.So why should I be in a hurry to get back in the right lane and cut someone off.Just to make some gear head running 10mph or more over the limit happy?If he was not speeding this would not happen and the law was written I feel to help the speeder.Dumbest law I ever seen.

I suppose you are much smarter than all the lawmakers out there. obviously you know the best way to make roads safe. of course driving the speed YOU choose is the best way to drive. and obviously everyone else is insane.
    well those insane drivers are on the same road as you, so do you want them calm, or angry? do you want them to shoot you? do you want them to calmly follow your speed? the insane drivers? UM, what exactly are you smoking?
    and who says you have to cut someone off? the PROPER way to drive on a freeway is when you see someone APPROACHING you THEY are travleing faster than you are. MOVE TO THE RIGHT! if you need to make a left for an exit approaching exit, if you are waiting for the exit that is comming up in the next 20 miles move over.
    there is a reason why the usa cannot institute an unlimited speedlimit. there are too many stupid drivers like you.
    in germany, there is a highway called the adobaun (sp?) police patrol this superhighway, looking for STUPID DRIVERS THAT WON'T MOVE OVER! and also looking for improper signaling. not speeders. READ YOUR DRIVERS EDUCATION MANUAL. don't put yourself and others in danger of the bad or angry driver. move out of their (or my) way. Listen, how would you feel if someone was driving 80, comes up behind you, can't pass because the two right lanes are filled with others going the same speed as you, they tailgate you, then when you slow down, or others realizing your stupidity make a hole for the speeder, he gets around you, and as he cuts you off for being so stupid to block his speeding, causes an accident and kills someone. who's fault is it? the speeder of course, but YOU caused the speeder to get overly aggressive and YOU would be at fault in the grand scheme of things...
    be smarter, move.
    John

• johndeere
    18 years ago

What am I smoking?What are you smoking?I drive in the right lane and drive the posted 65 MPH if I come up on a truck that can only run 60mph or a slower motorist.I look in my rear view mirror side mirror and if its clear no speeders in sight I move to the left passing lane and kick it up to get around the vehical then get back to the right lane as soon as possible.Often there will be a string of trucks and I may pass that line of slower moving traffic rather then darting in and out of the lanes.I go up to 70 and often 75 to get around them.I always get back in as soon as possible without cutting in to fast.Why? common curtousey to not cut in close to the vehical.Leave a few car links.

But you have the maniacs who think they own the road and speed limits are for the old people.Many times when I look before passing there are no cars insight.But while getting around a string of trucks.There he apears on my rear end.Usually talking on a Cell phone for some odd reason?I get in the right lane as fast and safley as possible.But I have to watch this idiot because he might just decide to pass on the right because of my 2 car length curtousey when he only believes in a 1 car length cut in.Remember im going 70 or 75 until I get back in the right lane as it is.But the idiot is running 80 or above.

You say I should speed because I might make him mad and he might shoot me?Sad world we live in when a THUG thinks he could scare me into that therory.He better not miss!

Also I would not be in the left lane driving waiting for my exit.However perhaps you should remember in large city areas.Many are travelers and have never been on that strecth of road.When a sigh saids Such and Such next exit.Often that traveler might not no exaclty when that exit is coming up.Or maybe he is following a semi and is blocked from reading the overhead sighns in a strange area this can be confusing.

Perhaps you should just slow down and not speed.The laws are the same for every one.If your on your way to work perhaps leave a little bit earlier.If your on the way home slow down lifes to short.Learn the number system 65 means 65 not 80.Also remember if your breaking the law by speeding.Maybe someone chooses to break the left lane law?Maybe there older and have more insurance?

• westranch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What gets me, are those drivers who KNOW all you're doing is passing. You've got your right signal going, you're doing it as quickly as possible, but they are gonna ride you like they own the road. If I'm doing 85 to 95 to pass someone while trying to get out of the way of Mr. Roadhog Racer, then Mr. Roadhog Racer has two choices. He can kiss my bumper, or bite my butt. Am I being unreasonable? Maybe in the eyes of Mr. Roadhog Racer.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

in germany, there is a highway called the adobaun (sp?) police patrol this superhighway, looking for STUPID DRIVERS THAT WON'T MOVE OVER! and also looking for improper signaling. not speeders.

I loved driving on the Autobahn! I like that there is a death penalty for screwing around in the left lane -- those stupid enough to do it risk being removed from the gene pool. It sure would be nice if American drivers had the same sense of lane discipline. I know ... I'm dreaming.

• vstech
    18 years ago

Johndeer, from your last post, I agree with you. if you are in the left lane to pass slower drivers and then with the proper 2 second following distance move over, you are driveing curtously and proper. I know what you mean about bad speeders popping up out of nowhere. the problem I have with drivers in the left lane are the ones who have a 20 mile drive in the left lane doing the speed they choose, that is the same speed as the right lanes eliminating any passing at all. those of us who speed, or drive agressively can get very agressive trying to get around left lane hogs. that is why the laws all punish the driver hogging the left lane. it also encurages speeders to push the envelope for the speed cameras and cops for $$$ so let them speed, let them get ticked or fined or both. but move out of their way safely don't try to force them (sometimes we all need to pass) to follow your rules. the lawmakers know what they are doing.
    HO HO HO. did I really say that?
    John

Sponsored