SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Vacation Rental Condo on Maui -- Hall Bath

chisue
10 years ago

We need to update a small shower bathroom in a condo built in 1990. We use it 2 - 3 months a year and rent it the rest of the time -- three star resort; $200/night rental. I'm going for 'nice', not 'my own private home nice'. Will you help me think this through?

Once we demo existing 2" ivory glossy tile in the shower and on the floor, we will have an overall shower space of 36" X 36" -- beside a 32" wide toilet space. Ceiling is 8'. We gain space by relocating plumbing from a wall between shower and toilet to a back wall. Current interior of shower is miniscule 31" X 29".

Opposite the shower and toilet is a an ivory CM-top vanity 68" X 22" w/mirrored wall surround (top to ceiling). This CM top is in perfect condition -- as is the vanity top in our master bath here. We added CM tub surround in the master bath -- wearing perfectly.

All the CM here has subtle 'swirl', and I don't mind that at all -- after all, real marble has 'swirl'. (KItchen has solid cream Corian with big/little integral sinks -- love the integrals!)

I'd like to have a no-curb shower, since we're replacing the floor anyway. It would also help the shower seem larger. Is this a big deal to create? This is a ground floor unit.

So far every contractor has suggested tiling two shower walls and using an angled glass surround on a shower base. I would prefer a rectangular glass surround for more 'elbow' room. The existing entry door is 22" wide and opens against a wall -- no problem entering through that.

So...what are your thoughts on shower shape; no-curb entry; what to use for flooring and surround. Keep CM vanity top? Try to match CM for shower surround (or go with same-tone no-swirl)?

Drop-in sink is no biggie, but it matches bisque toilet -- more of a biggie to replace that.

Comments (5)