SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Creating a Sense of Entry...

sweeby
14 years ago

We're still pondering how to do this addition, which will involve moving the front door and staircase and adding a formal living room. The basic design that works best in most ways has one main flaw that has me kind of stumped. That is, the front door would lead right into the center of the living room. My question is how best to create a sense of entry without making the living room too narrow.

The living room/entry space would be approximately 16 x 21 feet, 2-stories tall, with the front door being located in the middle of the 21' wall and the back wall being mostly glass. The staircase would be just to the left of the living room, with the 2nd floor walkway running directly across the front wall -- so the walkway would be directly overhead when you walk in the door. That would provide a sense of shelter for the first four feet or so -- Would that be enough, do you think, to create a welcoming entry way? (Warm weather, so no need for coats.)

Because of numerous tall trees near the front wall, there is really only one other possible location for the front door (which would allow an entry vestibule), and that would put it significantly off center, and right beside the staircase -- literally, only a foot or so between the front door and the start of the staircase... Does that sound any better?

Also, Hubby had the idea to 'sink' the living room one step. There are several good reasons to do this (which I won't go into) -- but my concern was that having the step-down start just four feet in front of the front door would be a big problem. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!