SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

please help!! need to id bulldog figurine/statue

jiggreen
18 years ago

hi! sorry, no picture..the only picture that exists is in my husband's brain!! i have been married to this man for the past 8 years, and he has been totally obsessed with replacing a black glass bulldog that he used to have. The story (which i have heard well over a hundred times) goes like this. his aunt grace gave him a black sitting bulldog, very very heavy, many many years ago. from what i have gleaned from listening to him with half an ear, it stood about 10-12 inches high, and was totally black, shiny. he assumed it was was solid cast iron, or something similar. until........... one day one of his son's friends dropped it, and it shattered. only then did he realize it was glass. ever since then, he has been on a quest to replace this cherished heirloom. from what i understand it was probably 40-50 years old. he says that the features on the bulldog were not very pronounced, but if you looked carefully you could see the ears, and eyes and nose, etc. i have hunted antique stores, googled and searched ebay, for anything remotely like a heavy, black, antique, glass sitting bulldog. i have yet to come up with a possible manufacturer. his obsession has now become MY obsession (and yes, it is as much to SHUT HIM UP ABOUT IT as it is to replace this item that he loved so dearly ...lol) any ideas that anyone has as to how to identify this mystery bulldog would be very welcome!!

Comments (11)