SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwu123

Liebherr frost problems in fridge compartment?

wwu123
14 years ago

I've called Liebherr customer service, and am awaiting a call back, but wanted to check if anyone here recognizes the issue I'm having.

I have the 36" CS2062, it's the freestanding version of the integrated HCS2062, I think they are mechanically and structurally the same except for a few features. It's been performing just fine during the 13 months we've owned it. However, today I noticed a loud mechanical buzzing sound from the fridge, it sounds like a circulation motor behind the upper center part of the fridge (there's a circular opening on the back wall right there). When I open the fridge, the whirring slows down to a clacking and then down to a stop, which I think reaffirms it is a fan motor.

As I looked more closely, I noticed the entire back wall is layered up with a thin frost, as you'd see in the freezer compartment of those small dorm fridges or the old freezers from 30 years ago (before autodefrost). I've never noticed this before, so I don't know if it's normally like this, or whether it's very recent. But the frost is thicker up near the top (about 1/3"), though mostly fine crystals that I can scrape off by hand. I suspect the fan motor noise is because there is ice built-up on the fan blades or assembly that is impeding the rotation.

Has anyone seen this problem or noticed if ice/frost normally there on the back wall of the fridge? I've never seen frost in the fridge compartment of any refrigerator I've owned. I have the fridge set to the factory 38 deg, and the freezer set at 2 deg (vs the factory 0 deg).

Comments (34)