SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

GE Cafe dual fuel range (LP) performance update

tetrazzini
16 years ago

I posted last week that our new range worked fine. After using it for 5 days I have a few observations.

I used the convection bake for the first time today. I put two loaf pans of pumpkin bread in on a single rack. As the manual instructed, I'd set the oven temp 25 degrees lower than the recipe called for. So I set it to 325. However, the temperature stopped rising at 300. If the oven automatically adjusts the temp down 25 degrees, why does the manual tell you to set it lower? I waited to see what would happen. The bottom halves of the breads came out noticeably darker brown than the top halves. And isn't convection supposed to speed baking time by about 1/3? The loaves weren't ready for 70 minutes -- the cookbook said to bake approximately an hour. My old radiant oven took less than an hour, usually about 45 to 50 minutes for this recipe. WHAT"S with THAT? How is this an improvement? I'll call GE tomorrow, but have any of you experienced this?

Burners: As I mentioned before, the right power burner works well as its flame graduates down to simmer. The left power burner does not. It's high on "power boil", but then doesn't respond to dialing it down until it's at about 4, then it decreases gradually. I guess fine control is something you have to pay more for?

Lastly, the burners put out what I'd consider to be an adequate amount of heat with LP, but even the highest BTU burners aren't what I imagine they should be for "professional" burners. (With LP the two largest put out 15k and 11k.) I have two thoughts on this. It seems to me that a star-shaped burner would heat more efficiently than a single ring. Also that, tho I paid much less than the MSRP (I paid $2049), it seems like a lot to pay for the reduced power the burners have once converted to LP. I envy those of you with NG. You're really getting a completely different product with propane. This may be obvious, but having used only an electric stove in the past, I didn't know what to expect from 12k, 15k, 18k, etc. burners.

I"m not unhappy with it overall. I've made a few good high-heat stir frys, so the burners are adequate. I guess if you want a more precise stove you have to go into a higher price category. Or am I wrong? Maybe with NG it's better.

Comments (2)