SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Looking for Help Identifying a Houseful of Old Things

ladyamity
18 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just got home. I've been in the process of helping my Brother-In-Law clean out his Dad's home.

His Dad was 92 when he passed away in Sept and BIL's Mom was 87 when she passed a few years ago.

We never thought it proper to ask Dad if he needed help clearing out Mom's things.

Now we are left with all the things from both of them, with no clue what we are doing.

Mom's clothes will be divided between the local Battered Women's Shelter and the Los Angeles Mission.

She was so meticulous-wrapped foam on the hangers before hanging her clothes on them so that the hanger wouldn't leave creases, tissue paper folded in her sweaters.

Dad's clothes will be sent to the LA Mission also-he was just as picky about his clothing.

Extended members of the family swooped in like vultures within two days of Dad's passing and all but the worst (dinged, scratched, chunks of wood missing) of the furniture pieces are gone.

Even with all that gone, we are drowning in Knick Knacks, Pottery, Old Lamps, Costume Jewelry and walls and walls of old Books, mostly Medical/Nursing in nature.

They held on to everything (and I mean Everything!) they acquired during their 65 years of marriage and we can tell that some of the things were brought into the marriage from their childhoods.

We've taken a few of the pottery pieces and Knick Knacks to several antique shops and I get the impression that the Dealers are more into buying than giving an appraisal.

For instance, we found 3 cute little green and bronze painted frogs on a lily pad holding a large petal flower.

We took one of them with us and the first dealer didn't bat an eye, said he'd give us $45 for it and that he would be taking a loss because it probably wouldn't sell for much higher than $55.

Every time I asked what the going price was for the frog he cleverly skipped around the question which made me suspicious.

I came home, looked on Ebay and found the exact Frog.

It was called the Weller Coppertone Frog on Lily Pad and it was selling for $100.

That's when I knew we had to be very careful with who we went to.

I thought that the safest way to get an opinion (not an actual appraisal because I know that's not possible without actually seeing/touching the item) would be to ask on a message board with unbiased people who had no gain from giving their advice/opinion.

I tried to continue to look on Ebay for some of the pottery etc. but since I don't know markings and some of the markings are so faded, I'd have no idea where to start to look. The only reason I found the Frog was because I typed in Frog/Lily Pad/Green and the first item on the page was the same frog.

When it comes to the bone china cups, saucers, salt and pepper shakers, pink glass creamer/sugar set - all that have to be 50+ years old, I have no clue what to type to do a search.

With all that said, would this be the place to come with pictures of Knick Knacks and Vintage Lamps?

My apologies for such a long-winded post.

Thank you,

Amity

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21