SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

What to do? 2 50-gal hybrids or 1 80-gal electric water heater

wishiwasinoz
11 years ago

We originally planned for 2 water heaters, one per level. We liked what we have read about the GE GeoSpring Hybrid water heaters, & we can get them with a significant enough discount. The max. size for the GE hybrid is 50 gallons.

Our GC was originally on board, & then he recently backed off & said we need one 80 gallon electric for the entire house, due to the downstairs bathtub. We have explained we are not bath people. No one in the house will probably ever take a bath (I might pop in once/year, if that). He still wants to put the single 80 gallon heater in the garage, despite what we have told him. I would like to put one hybrid in the garage & one up in the attic on the second floor (with a drain leading outside in the event of a leak - I also like the fact it will partially cool this space).

Looking at our plan, red is where hot water will be most vital & pink will be not as vital (house will be approx. 4,500 square feet total). DH showers first thing in the a.m. I shower after the kids are off to school. Kids shower in the evening. Laundry is done throughout the day, usually when no one is at home using other water & hot water is only used on approximately 2-3 loads/week. The dishwasher runs at night, usually around bedtime. Knowing all our water usage, does our original plan make sense? Will we still have issues on the ground floor with hot water?

Comments (14)