SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wijum

1920's? dining room set--please help!!!

wijum
17 years ago

Hello, I am looking to buy a dining room set from a friend. Right now she has the set in her store--thus the pictures have other merchandise in the pictures. Anyway, she cannot tell me age or anything about this set except that it is supposedly hard to find. I searched ebay and other sites selling antiques and cannot find anything like them.

The set includes a table (with 1 leaf) 5 side chairs and 1 captain's chair, a buffet, and a hutch. The underside of the table is stenciled "WALNUT"--but no other markings except some scribbles probably from the maker. The table is in great condition, has angled corners (I forgot to get a picture of the complete top =( --looks to be solid wood. The only laminated or layered wood I could find was the splat of the chair back. The leaf (at least the one she says matches--does not appear to go with the set and has a laminated top. The interior of the hutch and buffet is solid wood--all very nice. The exterior of all pieces have a few nicks and normal wear. One chair back top is cracked/split. I really like the set--but want to know more about it. Is it really worth $2800--what she is asking? Please give any ideas of age or style of set. She is calling it Jacobean--but doesn't look like any other Jacobean sets I have seen.

Thanks, Wendy

Hutch

{{gwi:1395420}}

Buffet

{{gwi:1395421}}

Chair

{{gwi:1395422}}

Table legs

{{gwi:1395423}}

Table top edge--middle side

{{gwi:1395424}}

Captains chair