trouble getting in and out of bed

patrice607

My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting weaker and now has difficulty getting in and out of bed. We tried putting a low profile box spring and mattress on the floor. Eliminating the frame brought it down 8 inches. She got in easily, but could not get out without assistance. I found a low profile (4"off the floor) bedframe that appears to be the perfect solution.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

There is a bed rail that you slip between the mattress and box springs. The rail is only about 24 inches with a rubber cover where the hand touches.

Help my husband to get out of bed after knee surgery. I purchased from Amazon.

However if she is having problems getting out perhaps it is time that she needs 24 hour care.

Save    
patrice607

Malifleur - Mom has the bed rail that you mentioned and it does help. However, her knees are very bad and she can't get up from a low sitting position. We currently have 24 hr. care because she just returned from 10 days in skilled care. She lives with my dad in a senior community that has a continuum of care.

Save    
shambo

Just a thought. Would one of those adjustable beds help? Supposedly they can get the person into a totally upright position. Then it's a matter of moving the legs to the side of the bed and just stepping off. Possibly with a walker at the ready.

Save    
patrice607

Shambo - Do you mean an electric hosptial bed? I am about to buy one for mom. Please let me know if there is another option. I want to consider all possibilities.

Thanks.

Save    
colleenoz

If she has difficulty getting up from a low sitting position, how would having the bed 4" off the floor help? I have bad knees and would struggle getting up from a bed 4" off the floor. I can't sit on my DD's couch because it is too low for me to comfortably get up from.

Save    
patrice607

Shambo - the low profile bed frame worked for awhile but mom's knees are getting weaker and more painful. I am currently looking for a fully electric hospital bed with the adjustable height feature. (and trying to get insurance/Medicare to pay for it)

Save    
bpath

Patrice, it's been a few months but I wonder if you got the hospital bed for your mom? We had tried the same thing as you, lower profile bed, and while getting in was easier she couldn't get out, either. The hospital bed isn't fully electric, Medicare wouldn't pay for that, so the mattress adjustment is electric while the height is manual crank. It's working pretty well for her, the ability to raise the head lets her get in and out of bed much more easily, and she has found the ideal bed height so doesn't have to change it often. Her arthritis and related problems are more in her back than the knees, so that may make a difference.

Save    
mitchpat

bpathome - Thanks for the follow-up. Mom's health has declined. She has 24/7 care and the caregivers use a hoyer lift to transfer her.

Save    
kathleen44

No, she needs care as not being able to get out of bed is not good, there will be accidents then. At least she can get in on her own but she needs help to get up, go to bathroom, to just getting up. She needs to be helped up from laying down and then out of the bed safely.

Save    
corky1_2008

Medicare will pay for a home health physical therapist or occupational therapist evaluation.

Save    
harkansas

If anyone is still looking, I came across this useful article... https://alpinehc.co.uk/blog/10-tips-buying-a-hospital-bed-for-home/

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Get It Done: Clean Out the Linen Closet
Organized bliss for your bedroom sheets and bathroom towels is just a few hours away
Full Story
Decluttering Get It Done: Clean Out Your Bedroom Closet
You can do it. Sort, purge, clean — and luxuriate in all the extra space you’ll gain — with this motivating, practical how-to
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Double Trouble and a Happy Ending
Burst pipes result in back-to-back kitchen renovations. The second time around, this interior designer gets her kitchen just right
Full Story