SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Dad was kicked out of the Nursing home You wont believe this

goldenpond
11 years ago

My dad had been happily living in a Nursing home for almost 3 years. About 6 months ago a lady moved there who had it in for him. I guess he reminded her of someone. She would ram her wheelchair into him and yell til he lashed out. Never causing physical harm but he placed his hands on her as if he was going too before someone intervened, (he cannot even shave himself) he was told not to do it again that she had DEMENTIA and that she didnt know any better but he did. The second time she did it again and this time he grabbed her nose. they called us into the office and Dad said "bit I didn't even get to twist her nose" I am sure he wanted to but hadn't the strength. Again no physical harm but he got moved to another wing where he stayed away, but she would come down his hallways. AND , the third time I got a frantic call that he was going to be Baker ACTED! I asked what he had done and they couldnt exactly answer they said they had conflicting reports. So the social worker.(a little sexpot who always flirted with dad and the others) said she stood in front of Dad and said put your hands on me like you did her and he placed his hand on her neck. BTW dad DOES have dementia. Anyway they called the cops. There we sat in the dining room with a police officer awaiting the ambulance. I got dad his teeth and he struggled to get them in his mouth the officer shaking his head at the feeble man accused of a violent attack. At the ER the nurses fumed. His DEPEND weighed a ton and he had 3 sores on his scrotum AND a heavy duty UTI. They said he is not in the least aggressive but they had to send him to the Behavioral Health hospital. Same thing there. the nurses fell in love with him saying he is just a big teddy bear and all he has is BAD UTI and Dementia NOT a mental problem needing their expertise. They told the nursing home to pick him up or place him but guess what? When you are Baker Acted NO ONE will accept you. So they struggled for three days and the BHH said we cannot keep him he must leave by midnight. The social worker called spouting off how they would have to keep him away from everyone and with 24 hr care and on and on she went til I said just send him home with me he is no prisoner. She hardly could believe I said that and quickly offered to have his med s sent to our pharmacy in the am. Hubs ordered a hospital bed (4 PM)and we went to pick him up at the BHH. They were super good to us and hated to see him go. In the AM went to pharmacy to get Depends, gloves, wipes and meds,,,,no meds. Went later in afternoon. No meds. Called and the nursing home social worker said, "we changed our mind the Behavior Health Hospital can order them. "

Somehow we just did what we had to, dad was full care in wheelchair and bed in the nursing home. On his fourth day with us STILL no meds (mix up they said) he was laying in his room and I stepped outside with the grandkids. When I came in DAD was sitting in a kitchen chair! I asked him"HOW did you get here?" He said,,,,,,"It wasn't easy!" He had crawled out of bed and using his wheelchair as a walker walked down the hallway to the kitchen. It dawned on me then. 4 days NO MEDS AND he is WALKING! So, now we are getting him physical therapy and Occupational therapy and baths, Next week we will check out the Senior day Care he loves to be around people. Some days are a struggle and I thank God I have a yard I can go out and enjoy and a FANTASTIC spouse who helps me. We are trying really hard to not be overwhelmed because in October we have hubs' Auntie coming to stay!

~tanya

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio