SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Nursing home - The financial process?

User
14 years ago

My coworker's Dad died suddenly the other week of a heart attack. (It's actually her Grandfather but she's always known him as Dad and calls him that). Her Mom (Grandmother) has Alzheimer's and her Dad took care of her. The family is taking turns staying there and taking care of their 'Mom' but they live far away. None of the kids are financially well off and just the driving there all the time is getting very costly.

They're trying to get their Mom into a nursing home but not having any luck. I know nothing of this stuff so bare with me...

She's saying they (nursing homes I believe) are saying her Mom needs to have less than $4,000 to qualify for Medicaid, which she has more than that, OR three years pay equaling $130,000ish to get her in - private pay. She doesn't have that much.

Some doctor told her she needed a note from the Dr. saying basically she needs care and can't be alone and they'd have to accept her. She went and got a note that same day but so far no luck. They've looking into more than once nursing home.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? Any suggestions I can give her.

Coworker has a..'different' (we'll use the word different) husband, two small toddlers, and two dogs. Poor girl is starting to look ragged and I feel bad for the whole situation. I've offered to babysit, clean her house, or anything I can do to help so we'll see if she takes me up on that.

Comments (22)