SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicinus

Anyone seen a plan with the front entry on a short side?

nicinus
12 years ago

Dear all,

We're looking at potentially buying a house in bad shape, but in a nice location with a nice lot close to relatives etc. It only really has one disadvantage, which is that the backyard backs up towards a quite busy street. Definitely not a highway, more of a minor artery road with a school on it so quite busy during some hours. Given the state of the existing house this would mean new construction, and one of the ideas is to orient the house differently. Even though the house may have corners or a small L-shape, it would effectively mean it would it would have a short side on its front, and the length of the house would have one side as garden. There would then be hedging etc against neighbors.

My question is if anyone has seen any attractive house plans where the house is deeper than wide that doesn't look odd, or would this be a bad idea? We have searched a ton of house plan sites but only come up with a handful, none of them to our taste. For this to work out the house would need to be around 40' wide and perhaps 80' deep. We're also thinking resale value, as both me and my wife are open to interesting work opportunities should they arise.

Comments (20)