SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutbunch

OTR Microwave - who's to blame

nutbunch
15 years ago

So we are putting in a new kitchen. I went to lowes, explained my space. Liked the Frigidaire gas range and the sales clerk suggeted the frigidaire OTR microwave. It's the high end model with convection.

Lowes uses an installtion service that I paid for and they came out and installed it.

The next weekend we are working on the house (we haven't moved in yet) and I go to put a frozen thing in the microwave to cook. Imagine my surprise when steam/whatever else vents from the top directly on my upper cabinets. steaming them up!

The vent fan works fine to the back of the unit that vents directly outside. It only happens when you cook something in the microwave.

I call the installers back and say something must be wrong. My cabinets will warp. They come out for 2 seconds, don't look at it and say "well that's the type of MW it is"

I'm saying "oh now, who the hell would by an OTR microwave that vents inside up in front of cabinets. "Uh I don't know, but it's not our problem"

I go back to Lowes and complain. They say I have to call a service request first. They are coming tomorrow.

Assuming this can be serviced. Who's to blame?

Me - I bought the stupidest OTR microwave ever.

Lowes - They sell the thing without mentioning, "Oh if you have upper cabinets the thing vents directly in front of them"

Installers - I took out all the info when I was on the phone with the service dept and ran across the install instructions that say some brackets needed to be installed (not included) or grease would vent directly in the kitchen. That's what's happening.

Comments (19)