SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seashine

OTR Microwave distance over range question

seashine
7 years ago

I'm trying to help my mother (age 78) replace her OTR microwave. Her existing one died. She has had new cabinets built recently and loves them and doesn't (right now) want to find a new place for a microwave. Her existing OTR microwave always seemed ridiculously high (cabinets were built by a TALL man who didn't work will with my sweet mother) and unsafe for her 5' 1" height. In the rural area where my mother lives, finding a skilled and available contractor is a huge challenge. I want to gather as much information as possible to help her get the best solution.

A. Can someone please explain the required/suggested/petite-person-preferred distance between the range (induction) and the bottom of the microwave?

B. I'm thinking about suggesting she consider an OTR GE Advantium if the height above floor/range won't be too challenging for her. It seems like it might be a super convenient option for her quantity of cooking. Another option is to see if she'd give-up her countertop toaster oven and use a microwave there. Is there such a thing as a countertop Advantium-like product?

Thanks!

Comments (6)