SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebloom

mounting towel racks on mirrors and/or hard wall tiles?

bluebloom
15 years ago

In a very small guest/hall bathroom, a built-in medicine cabinet, built-in niche, and towel warmer were part of the featured plan, but not done. Instead a large mirror is on the wall behind the small vanity and continues behind the toilet close beside it.... this helps to make the room seem larger and better for light, but diminishes functionality considerably as far as I can imagine.

The very hard tiling extends all around the tub to the ceiling... very nice looking, but now what to do for "stuff" like toiletries and towels?? The counterspace is very very limited and would look cluttered with anything on it, plus things would tend to get splattered. Can't even figure where to properly place a box of tissues... top of toilet is a bit rounded and has a metal thing (maybe the flusher) on the middle top so not conducive to putting anything on top.

We've been trying to come up to speed with so many things at once that I can't remember if I saw any towel racks (would like a train rack even, if feasible) mounted on mirrors. Apparently some kind of light fixture cracked mirrors when installed, so they changed to different ones (I'm not sure what made one ok & not the other, except they've glued a back plate on to the mirror for the fixture, maybe to better distribute the weight?). So I imagine either it's not a good idea, or one really has to know what one is doing to mount heavier towel racks.

If the opposite to faucet/showerhead end of the tub could be used (either instead, or also) without getting towels wet, might ask re that. Apparently the tiles are "very hard", but any other considerations to mounting say a train rack? Since the shower head and faucet got inserted into the tiles, presumably a rack could be drilled in... any stress or other issues?

There are 2 doors under the single sink vanity, no drawers. So guests would have to bend down to put/access toiletries underneath, and maybe clean towels/tp rolls on one side. But need a spot to hang or at least set clean towels, and then to hang wet. There is a small towel ring now on the wall perpendicular to the mirror, just to the right of the sink (the only bare painted wall available, only the depth of the counter). We're crossing fingers that this wall has no wires/etc inside, so that it might be able to accomodate a small recessed cabinet; there's probably not enough room for surface mounted unless very narrow in depth.

We've seen robe hooks and are thinking of placing 2 or 3 double-hooked ones on the back of the door, for wet towels or face cloths... though would be nice to have room for guest robe(s) too.

The only other place I can think of for wet towels will be on the edge of the tub. Have read some threads re towel racks and hooks and some "to re-use or not to re-use towels" discussions (lol).... we are in the wash towels a couple times a week camp, unless overtly dirty; facecloths or handtowels maybe change up to 3 or 4 times a week depending. Dishcloths daily though. Anyway, don't love the thought of used towels needing to be draped on the tub.

At least shampoo and soap can go on the tub edge, unlike the ensuite standing shower... have to figure out what to do in lieu of built-in niche there.

Appreciate very much any input, but especially on mountability for the mirror... don't want to ask for something that's ill-advised.

Comments (2)