SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amcook_gw

LG FD refrigerator trials and tribulations...

amcook
14 years ago

I posted my story about my LG FD refrigerator problem in another thread back in December. My story is very much like so many described in the link below:

LG EZ-bake oven link...

So in my last post about this, I mentioned that they came and replaced all the melted parts and the problem appeared to be fixed. Well, about a month and a half ago, it started happening again. The light inside the fridge just wouldn't go out. Luckily, I had replaced the dual 60w bulbs with 13w cfl which at least prevented melting/burning parts and fire. I called them back and scheduled another service. This time the service guy just didn't show up. No call. No visit. Just a wasted vacation day. Then, a week after my scheduled service, even though I still had not heard from LG, the problem went away again. For the last month, it's been coming and going. Every time I close the fridge door, I wonder, is the light going to go out this time? After two service calls, the problem still exists. I suspect the problem is not "fixable" and they know it. It's just cheaper for them to keep sending people out to replace a few parts that don't really fix anything than to recall all the models that suffer from this problem.

So, I post this as a warning to anyone thinking about purchasing LG refrigerators. You might think, "they must have fixed it by now" but do you really want to take that chance when their are so many other brands out there. If you do decide to get an LG fridge, don't forget to pay your fire insurance premiums.

If you already own one of these, I'd suggest replacing the bulbs immediately with CFL or LED bulbs. Since this problem re-occurred, I have found reasonably priced LED bulbs that fit and work well here:

LED replacement bulb...

Low wattage and runs cool so even if it stays on, no fire danger and no warm food. Even with the CFL bulbs, I noticed that the temp on the top shelves would rise noticeably if they stayed on. Added benefit of LED is they turn on instantly and actually perform better at low temps which is opposite of CFL. Hopefully, I'll be replacing this fridge well before the bulbs go out.

Comment