SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spokanejim

Matching vent hood with off brand in line fan... comments needed.

spokanejim
16 years ago

Question: I'm wondering of the pro's and con's of mating a 36" Vent-A-Hood insert (Model#BHPSLD) with an in line fan from Continental Fan (www.continentalfan.com), specificlaly their AXC315A or AXC315B rather than going with the the standard fan offered by Vent-A-Hood. Details below:

Range will be a 36" Wolf with 6 burners (no griddle or grill). Hood vent will be an insert as we are desiring a wood covered hood. Because of space limitations, I will need to stick with a 36 inch hood instead of a larger 42". Due to length of run (From hood, straight up to 9' ceiling, one 90 bend, then 21 feet to external wall) several have strongly suggested that I go with a 900 CFM unit. Vent-A-Hood makes an insert I'm interested in, but in their 36" version, it only comes with a 600CFM fan... would need to go with the 46" to get 900 CFM and their brand.

Others have suggested that they prefer an external fan over one inside the hood. I tend to prefer that route for noise reasons.

Some questions:

1) Is there anything grossly incompatible with mating an off band fan with another manfacturer's hood vent? Eg. without Vent-A-Hood's fan, I'd be missing out on the needed baffles for grease separation, etc.

2) An integrated setup (same brand for both fan and hood) offers features such as temperature sensing to automatically boost fan speed. Is it an obvious question that I'd be sacraficing such features to go with the benefits of an in-line fan? Or are there work arounds.

3)Any remedies that you've already installed... successfully mated brand X's hood with brand Y's external / in-line fan?

My path thus far. I liked Viking's VBCV insert. It had a heat lamp which I'd like. But, it's internal fan's available were 300, 600 and 1200 CFM options. Missing is the 900CFM internal fan option, and I'm hesitant to "go overkill" and install a 1200 CFM internal fan with it's higher noise at low and top speed. Viking's external fans are offered as a 900 CFM version, but looking at their specifications, it would look horrendus on the outside wall of our home. Can't put something like that where it will duct. Finally, with a 18" high hood, it was more difficult to match a design of a hood vent cover that my wife liked to the liner. Thus I started looking at Vent-A-Hood. Their liner is only 12" high... works great with our wood cover ideas. Brand is spoken of highly on these forums. However, as mentioned above, I'd be limited to a 600CFM version with a 36" wide hood. No external fan options are listed on Vent-A-Hood's website. (Are they incompatible with their hoods?)

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Jim

Comments (4)