SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aboc1212_gw

advice on large custom framed mirrors for vanity

14 years ago

Hi. We are in the process of trying to get custom mirrors made for our bathroom vanities but are running into problems due to the sizes. We have shopped around and the sizes we need (around 40 inches high and anywhere from 36 inches to 55 inches wide) are really weird/not standard - so we haven't been able to find something already made. At Micheal's we were told only a few of their frames were 'rated' to hold a mirror of our size. They said basically that a frame that was 'underrated' for a particular mirror would, over time, break down and fall apart under the weight of the glass. We also had frames priced out at AC Moore and interestingly they did not say our mirrors were too large. So now I am confused and concerned and am hoping someone here can help.

My first question is: Is it safe to assume that what is true at Micheal's framing department is likely true at AC Moore? If so then I guess both places are out as options for a custom frame.

Second: Do the sizes we are looking for sound unusually large for a framed mirror? If not then does anyone have suggestions about ways we could get one made? DIY isn't going to be an option - DH feels fine about constructing a frame but doesn't think he can get the stain to look right at the joints or something like that. At any rate, we are not going to make one our selves so we need to. We've

Thanks - any help or advice we can get would be appreciated. We've been living with no mirrors in our bathrooms for almost three months now and it's getting old! Every morning I drag out a little one and prop it on the vanity and it's just not a long term solution. I already broke one (that my grandfather made, no less).

Comments (14)