SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwwbrad75

Help installing Vanity over existing tiles & wall damage

wwwbrad75
15 years ago

Hi,

This is my first time here, but I've not been able to find advice on a similar scenario. As shown in the photo below, the old pedestal basin in my bathroom came away from the wall (Dynabolts fell out, no idea how they were installed). I'm now replacing it with a new vanity, but have 2 issues to ask about.

a) the floor tiles near the corner with the wall have been laid so that they tilt up against the wall (see the corner in the photo). Presumably this is to catch any water and keep it away from the wall (?). How should I install the vanity level? Is the best way to do it to cut the bottom of the back of the vanity? I'm not sure how to do it neatly. For info: the ugly tiles here will be obscured by the vanity. The back of the vanity is square flush against the wall and its base sits only on its side edges (i.e. the back is a gap at the bottom).

b) It looks to me like the basin was installed then tiled around. The wall is plastered brick. What would you suggest to clean this 'hole' up (or not)? Is there any problem leaving the unsealed wall behind the vanity?

The basin that sits on the vanity has 4 holes with which to connect it to the wall. I'm yet to exactly line these up, but 2 of the holes would line up with tiles on the outside, the other 2 are near the mess. How would you attach the vanity to this wall? Note: If anyone does suggest tiling the hole, I've only found 3 of these white tiles when I moved in and have the broken pieces that fell off the wall... How would I use that?

Thanks in advance

Brad

{{gwi:1393520}}

Comments (2)