SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

I think I've solved the TV/Fireplace issue in basement

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We, like so many people before, have struggled with how to incorporate both a TV and a fireplace in the same room. This time the same room was the basement with high up basement windows which further complicated the look. We tried to put them together as a unit side by side, but the windows looked odd floating up high. I did not want the TV over the fireplace.

Sooooo, we tried fooling the eye on the windows to bring them lower using shutters under the windows. Now the fireplace will be able to be centered between the windows, and the TV will hide between shutters. Here is a photo to illustrate what we are planning now. We will likely have a shelf for Xbox, dvd player etc on far right that is not shown. The grey on the left shows the staircase. Any comments?

Carol

TV not showing

TV showing

The last photo shows our attempt to make a combined unit and how odd it looked with the high up windows. We will not be doing this, but wanted you to see the difference with the shutters.

Here is the floor plan we are considering for the room if you would care to comment at all on that. We have to incorporate lots of built in shelves for general storage in the room which you will see marked in blue and green.

Comments (33)