SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Determining width of tub deck...pros and cons?

raehelen
10 years ago

I am planning the last BR reno of this house. First time I will ever have anything other than a 'normal' builder's quality 60 X 30 enameled steel tub. Am building into an alcove 78 X 41, and tub is 66 X 33, and I am having difficulty deciding how to divvy up the extra few inches of tub decking.

My plan is to have 10 inches at the end where the faucets/feet/drain will be, and 6" at the inside wall, and 2" on the other two sides, ie 2" at the head end and 2" on the side I climb in. My reasoning is that I could perhaps put up some shelving on the wall with the extra 10", (suggested by this forum) and could place candles, wine glass, decorative items on the 6" by the wall.

However, in what seems like 90% of pictures I have seen, people have the wider edge on the side where they climb in. I don't understand this, and wonder if I am missing something obvious. I guess you then sit and swing legs in, but isn't that what you do on a more narrow ledge anyways?

Please fill me in on the whys and wherefores of tub decking...I could find no documentation anywhere!

Comments (14)